FDA-EV1S with F3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Jan 17, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    is there anyone here with the NEX-F3 with the FDA-EV1S accessory?

From the manual is not very clear if this is supported by NEX-F3, actually it asks for the accessory port number 2 ( I will upload later on the screenshot)

Alex

2. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I'm pretty sure it's not compatible with the nex 5 so I wouid say not on the 3 either just the 5n, if you find out that it is, have one for sale absolute mint used twice

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I think it is. Send me with pm your offer.

Alex

4. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    where are you based

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think it is compatible with the F3 (but not 100% sure, so don't take my word on it)

6. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    It is defiantly compatible with the nex f3 I have both the nex f3 and the FDA-EVS1 and it works a treat.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Hoping to pick up one soon for my F3. Sony says it will fit.

Too bad they are so pricey.

8. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    You will love it they make a massive difference to the nex f3.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Germany, you might even shoot it with a catapult. I promise I will catch it

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I am working with this accessory one week now and I like it. One think though that does not seem to work with my nex-f3. For the manual focus mode I am using peaking of medium level and color red.

Even though the red sparks appear on the lcd screen nothing appears on my viewfinder. Is not compatible with that feature or is still something disabled from the camera s menu?

Alex

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Alex, the EVF does not show focus peaking as well as the LCD. You can try setting the peaking level to "high" and see if that helps. Perhaps change the color to yellow or white might help as well.

Depending on which lens/aperture and subject matter (low contrast) you may have ot live with focus magnification to achieve critical focus using the EVF.

12. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Believe it or not it seems that the EVF has a higher screen resolution than the Live view screen so smaller dots on a smaller screen. So the peaking is still working its just that the effect is harder to see, I have mine set on yellow at full for when I use the EVF it will take a little getting used to but it dose work. You will notice that it will work much better at further distances as there will tend to be more contrasts for it to work with. Here is something interesting peaking docent seem to work on my cats at any distance I am thinking that somehow their fur counteracts the affect as they have a fairly camouflaged coat.

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks I try and post back
    Alex

14. NOSLEEP

NOSLEEP New to TalkEmount

Feb 2, 2013
    Canada
    I have the FDA-EV1S on my nexf3. Seldom take it off. The resolution is as good as or better than the display. Focus peaking works very well when viewing through the view finder. You wont be disappointed.

15. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I have hope even get one for my nex5r, but prices still remain very expensive, I have been looking on ebay but still don't get good luck.

16. JTM_CR

JTM_CR TalkEmount Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    i have one on nex f3 works perfect. please buy at keh.com i got mine very cheap

17. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    I picked one up for my F3 while on vacation in Hong Kong last week. Got it from the Sony Store in Causeway Bay for $308 out the door, which translates to a savings of roughly $68 than if I were to buy it from my local Sony store.

The first thing I noticed about this EVF is that the image is huge compared to the VF3 EVF I have on my Olympus. The resolution is luscious and confirms the claim that it is a "high-def TV for your eyeball".

I agree with the focus peaking being slightly difficult to see through the EVF, but also find that manual focus in magnified view is so much more accurate and easier to nail with the EVF that you may not even need peaking for some situations.

I love being able to tilt the EVF when shooting low, and makes it that much more useful over a built-in EVF. The only thing I dislike about the EVF is that it seems easy and prone to being broken off if accidentally banged against a wall or (even worse) dropped (and no, I'm not one of those people who use their camera as a hammer). The EVF is packaged with a warning card saying not to store the camera in a camera bag with the EVF installed.

18. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for all the posts. I am currently not using it too much. I am not if can help me improve the way I am shooting or is just more a preference the way one wants to shoot.
    A