Faulty NEX6?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by clashcityrocker, Jun 23, 2014.

1. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker New to TalkEmount

Jun 23, 2014
    I have a problem. I bought a used NEX6 from Amazon Marketplace. The camera was sold as being "Used - Like New" condition, and whilst it looked great with no obvious marks, it did have an odd behaviour, which I believe to be a fault and returned the item as faulty. The problem being, the seller is saying it's not a fault, and because of this, I have lost out on both postage and return postage. Amazon of course have taken his word.. I'm hoping some NEX6 owners can confirm is this is regular behaviour or not.

The problem is with the control wheel (the silver dial under the mode dial). It has a notching mechanical action. The problem with the camera was that there was one notch on the dial where it wouldn't register with the camera, the next notch would then double advance. It would happen on the same place on the dial each time around. It was most annoying on picture reviewing, advancing two pictures at a time, rather than one. But it did the same on all other functions too, setting apperture and shutter speeds for example.

It might sound like a subtle problem, but it did drive me wild with frustration, and I also checked it wasn't me, by getting someone else to try it out, and they had similar problems.

is this normal behaviour with this camera? Anyone else experienced it?

Many thanks.

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Definitely a broken control wheel... More than likely the contacts that register movement have slipped inside the wheel, and so when you get the issue point, it doesn't register, and then the next notch it picks up the slipped contact as well so you get the double action you describe.

Not something I've seen mentioned as a common fault but also probably really fixed by a Sony repair centre (no idea of the cost mind!).

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Bummer, mine does not do this.

5. clashcityrocker

Jun 23, 2014
    That was my diagnosis too (I used to work in Sony service years back)

Sadly the Amazon UK seller has managed to pull the wool over Amazon's eyes, and convinced them he has talked to Sony about it, and they said it was correct, If he did talk to them (which I personally doubt), then he didn't describe the problem as I did, as I doubt they would confirm such a problem was normal behaviour.

Would appreciate comments from other NEX6 owners on this, and I'm going to direct Amazon to this thread if that's OK.

It's not just the £22 of postage I lost out on, someone else is going to end up with that camera soon, as no doubt it's going to get relisted.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Mine doesn't do that either, but I've noticed that that control wheel IS indeed very easy to accidentaly bump/skip a notch...
    Hope you resolve this :)

7. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Sorry to hear that. Guess your best option is to get it checked in Sony's service center.

8. clashcityrocker

Jun 23, 2014
    It's been sent back to the seller, it's his problem now, but I'm out of pocket, as the seller is telling Amazon there is no fault and he has talked to Sony who told him the control quirk its by design. (which is totally untrue).

Someone else is going to land that camera, and they may only spot the problem after its too late.

9. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Send amazon a link to this thread...

10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Sad to hear about your problem, definitely not normal nex-6 behaviour, :(

11. clashcityrocker

Jun 23, 2014
    Well it sorta made a difference. Amazon have now agreed that the camera was indeed faulty, and refunded me half of my postage £11, which I guess is better than no postage, so thanks ALL for helping me out. I'm still out of pocket for the return postage (another £11), and still anoyed at Amazon for automatically taking the seller's side in their A-Z guarentee, but this should hopefully prevent someone else ending up with a faulty camera that the owner is trying to get shot of via Amazon, I'm guessing it will be on ebay very soon...

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad your getting some resolution

13. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William

Glad that you got some sort of resolution.
    I had a similiar situation regarding a watch I purchased from an Amazon seller...received it defected and ended sending back.
    According to the seller, they never received it back so I filed a claim against them...Amazon automatically took their side and I'm out of a watch & my $$$!
    The seller's supplied return shipping label via USPS did not have any insurance amount or anything, so I have no proof to show for it. :frown:

14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Never dealt with Amazon myself but from what I know ebay behaves the opposite - it usually takes the buyers side on most cases (which isn't good for the seller though :D )

15. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    definitely something wrong with the contacts. I've a similar problem where at times the slightest touch on the mode dial will change the mode to the next one. Checked with the service center here and they agree that it's something wrong with the dial's contacts. Am waiting to give it to them to fix.

Tell the seller that it should be an easy fix for Sony

• Like Like x 1
  16. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    +1

And once they have made their decision, eBay/PayPal will suck the money out of your (sellers) account before you know what happened.

I have been mostly lucky as both buyer & seller. The few "challenges" I've had I have won, which I think is due mostly to the other party only being partially literate, and my high/long/+ feedback score, but there are horror stories out there.

When buying, you have the discretion to only deal with sellers with a long seller history you can review. When selling, you can restrict buyers to those with at least a tiny + feedback, but being able to restrict buyers to only those with 50+ or better (not available) would make me feel more comfortable when selling. I am now reluctant to sell high value collectables on eBay for this reason.