Father's Day a bit early...my Canon FDn 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 arrived an hour ago

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roundball, May 29, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Another very impressive legacy zoom from the Canon 1980's on an NEX-7...mint condition as advertised.

It's cloudy / overcast / misting here yet a couple dozen handheld functional tests of hanging baskets of flowers, birds, tree leaves, etc...shot out through a covered screened in deck mind you...IQ was just beyond anything I expected...kind of excited about it.

Planning to take a few walks through a local university Arboretum over the next several weeks (flowers, bees, small scale scenics, etc) and the 35-70 on one NEX-7, 70-150 on another will cover everything available...will really wring it out good there.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Big disappointment...weather cleared off through here, sun came out, etc.
    Went outside and started taking real photos business as usual and noticed a defect...as long as I'm focusing on something close to mid-range its sharp, but anything at distance gets softer and softer.
    Already notified the EBay seller I was returning it...the good news is its in the neighboring state of VA and won't cost me all that much shipping.
    Too bad...back to the drawing board
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
  4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    I have similar issue with my tokina 35-105 . razor sharp in its macro mode, but long distance pretty useless.

Sent from my LG-V500 using TalkEmount mobile app
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Well, fortunately I have a Canon FD 28-85/4.0 and 35-105/3.5 that are tack sharp end to end.
    Just thought the 35-70/2.8-3.5, being a bit shorter and smaller diameter might be an easier lens & camera package to carry...but in reality, my above zooms are only an inch longer, so I'll just stay with what I have, and not risk trying to buy another used 35-70.