• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Father and Daughter Photographers

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
From Fathers' Day...

Both with the Sigma 19mm, wide open. Usually a wide angle not the best for portraits, but I think these came out okay.

Had to work at it to get our faces aligned so both were in focus on this one:

1297-20120617-portrait-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

19mm way too wide (tall) here, but cropped to 8x10 helps:

1296-20120617-portrait-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think it's such a great privilege to have a daughter (or son) to follow in their father's love of photography. It's good to see the baton being passed-on to the next generation of photographers especially within the family... to see the joy it brings that you two obviously have! :)

(Although in saying that, I'd keep a watchful eye on your lens cabinet)... ;)

Bolampau

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Two very good portraits. Bet it wasn't easy getting your faces aligned in the first photo.......did you take many shots to get it right?
Cheers,
Paul

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Two very good portraits. Bet it wasn't easy getting your faces aligned in the first photo.......did you take many shots to get it right?
Cheers,
Paul
Three, I think... Let's see: First shot I was sitting up and forgot about the low light and shallow DoF. Second shot we evened up, but the camera was still tilted, and the focal plane still had me further away.

I think the lens cabinet is safe. She shoots with a Canon 60D and Elan 7e - All EF lenses. But thinks money grows on trees and is asking for a 5D and 85mm/1.2L for birthday and Xmas this year. That ain't gonna happen :)

The day these were taken, we were headed up north to drop her off at a 4-day photography class. Took some shots along the way, but nothing I took really stood out, so I haven't posted those. But her teacher was interested in my old Canon, so I brought it up to show him when we picked her up. He's going to let me have access to the school's darkroom when daughter is there, so I'm also looking forward to shooting with my dad's gear and doing some wet work.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Three, I think... Let's see: First shot I was sitting up and forgot about the low light and shallow DoF. Second shot we evened up, but the camera was still tilted, and the focal plane still had me further away.

Hmmm, I'm beginning to think that Sony was onto something when they released the F3 with a forward facing display.

348329-sony-alpha-nex-f3.jpg
   ---            

I think the lens cabinet is safe. She shoots with a Canon 60D and Elan 7e - All EF lenses. But thinks money grows on trees and is asking for a 5D and 85mm/1.2L for birthday and Xmas this year. That ain't gonna happen :)

The day these were taken, we were headed up north to drop her off at a 4-day photography class. Took some shots along the way, but nothing I took really stood out, so I haven't posted those. But her teacher was interested in my old Canon, so I brought it up to show him when we picked her up. He's going to let me have access to the school's darkroom when daughter is there, so I'm also looking forward to shooting with my dad's gear and doing some wet work.

Ahh... wet work! I didn't know schools still had darkrooms. There's something special about an image appearing out of nowhere on a blank sheet of photographic paper. I used to have my own darkroom at home and had some really fun times (long long hours) in there.

I was wondering if it was possible to take a non-flash photo of you and your daughter at work inside the darkroom (in red light near darkness) to show us? That'll put the NEX sensor to the test! You might have to select higher ISO settings higher than 3200? :)

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hmmm, I'm beginning to think that Sony was onto something when they released the F3 with a forward facing display.

348329-sony-alpha-nex-f3.jpg
   ---            

Ahh... wet work! I didn't know schools still had darkrooms. There's something special about an image appearing out of nowhere on a blank sheet of photographic paper. I used to have my own darkroom at home and had some really fun times (long long hours) in there.

I was wondering if it was possible to take a non-flash photo of you and your daughter at work inside the darkroom (in red light near darkness) to show us? That'll put the NEX sensor to the test! You might have to select higher ISO settings higher than 3200? :)
I wish the display flipped out from the side and not straight up the back - Then you could still attach the EVF and possibly have both displays working at once - one for the person behind the camera, and the LCD for the posers.

Heh... I like the idea of trying to take a photo in the darkroom. When the time comes, I'll see what I can do! If only that Canon F0.95 lens had worked properly!

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I wish the display flipped out from the side and not straight up the back - Then you could still attach the EVF and possibly have both displays working at once - one for the person behind the camera, and the LCD for the posers.

Well said... looks like Sony's designers didn't think that one through as much as they should!

Heh... I like the idea of trying to take a photo in the darkroom. When the time comes, I'll see what I can do!...

It might be a 'first' for the school! :)

The 5N's fastest is ISO 25600... I still can't figure out what on earth that can be used for - perhaps your photo inside the darkroom was what Sony had in mind, lol! That and the SEL 16mm!

Luiz Curcino

TalkEmount Veteran
Beautiful portrait! Very friendly these two photographers. The 19mm Sigma is a great lens.
I agree with Dioptrick: Happiness is having a family member with the same passion for photography.
I imagine the two going out for a photo session, as it should be fun.
Congratulations.
Luiz

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro

I am so bummed out. This past weekend, I went with my daughter to her school to use the darkroom to develop some black and white film. I shot my roll with my dad's old Canon and LTM lenses. She had a roll she shot with her camera (Canon Elan-7e) for her summer class work, and we were going to develop them together.

When I originally loaded the film in the camera, I forgot to reset the frame counter, so didn't know how many pictures I had taken (One of those problems with a 100% manual camera). Deciding to cut the roll short and develop what I had taken, I just started firing pictures off until I hit the end of the roll... and never got there; The film had apparently fallen off the take-up reel after I closed the camera and stopped advancing. Every image exposed directly on top of the previous one.

So all the pictures I took over the past three weeks are gone. Sigh...

I did bring along the color negatives I had shot during our vacation to Niagara Falls, and Chicago. So I was able to make a black and white print from one of those.

I was definitely not used to being around the chemicals. It was an old familiar smell from high school days, shooting and printing pictures for the yearbook. But hanging around for six hours got to me. My lungs and throat are still hurting.

I did think about taking a shot of the two of us in the darkroom... The Sigma 2.8 was asking for a 2-second exposure. But I then realized that the LCD would be on and casting light into the room as well. So no actual picture was taken. Thinking back, I had been using the camera at ISO-400 to match the film camera (Using the NEX as an expensive light meter - another disadvantage of an all manual camera), so I might have gotten away with 1/4 second at ISO-3200 - and at f2.8, had nearly no depth of field :(.

I suppose we could have at least "posed" in front of enlargers with no paper out. Oh well... Next time, perhaps.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Oh no, sorry to hear DB.

I can relate! That happened to me on a commercial photo shoot many many years ago. I was at a factory where a lot of operations were specifically staged for me to photograph. In my case the multiple-exposure button (mechanical) somehow got pushed and for some odd reason remained stuck. It should've disengaged when the film advance lever is cocked for the next shot, but it didn't. So all the photos ended up on the same frame of film, like yours. Besides my embarrassment and dismay, I also lost that client for good because of that one tiny recessed button under the base of the camera body. :( I still feel so awkward just thinking about it... arrrrrgh.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
If you're ever asked to do paid wedding photography, stuff like this is what nightmares are made of!

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
bad luck friends, remember that happens in my cousin's wedding several years ago, unfortunately the photographer after finish the wedding,I well remember I liked his camera was a Minolta with large letters on the front ''x300'', silver with black, this man, family friend and photographer, best known for his great pictures, but on this occasion was a disaster because had completed the wedding in the church and were waiting at the groom's house, anyway was starting the banquet, the photographer was fighting his camera and cursed himself, then later he went to talk with my cousin, wow surprise
the angry cousin makes faces and the wife left the room crying because they had pictures of them in the church. It was a disaster I think that the roll had been stuck in the slot, so that wedding and the photographer, it's part in the history of the family, was a big fault but he was and still is a friend of the family, so when he had events, makes ​​sure to have everything under control.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Finally got my film shot and developed

Since this is the NEX forum, and these are all film pictures, I'll just post a link here:

20120901 - TMAX-400 Roll 01 - RangeFinderForum Gallery

I did take a photo with the NEX/Sigma in the darkroom of the two of us in front of enlargers with only the darkroom lights on. But the focus was missed badly, and the exposure time was too long (.5 second) to capture us with any rigidity. I may try again sometime, but there's a greater chance we wouldn't be the only ones in the darkroom now that the school year has started - And I wouldn't want the light from the LCD to destroy anyone else's work. :eek:

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hey db, I did the same thing at my son's wedding. Lord knows how many shots this is. In the heat of the moment I sort of lost track. Gotta be at least 50. On a 36 exposure roll. Contax RTS II. I really don't miss film. Except for Velvia. ;)

http://bimjo.com/bimjoriginal/pics/forums/moabloop.jpg

Outch!

Oh man, just seeing that multi-exposed frame just brings back memories for me too... it's that sickening feeling when you first realize what had happened, followed by false hope, then denial, then finally... anguish! I suppose we can laugh about it now, but boy that was a tough lesson to learn.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Since this is the NEX forum, and these are all film pictures, I'll just post a link here:

20120901 - TMAX-400 Roll 01 - RangeFinderForum Gallery

I did take a photo with the NEX/Sigma in the darkroom of the two of us in front of enlargers with only the darkroom lights on. But the focus was missed badly, and the exposure time was too long (.5 second) to capture us with any rigidity. I may try again sometime, but there's a greater chance we wouldn't be the only ones in the darkroom now that the school year has started - And I wouldn't want the light from the LCD to destroy anyone else's work. :eek:

Thanks for those pics DB... although I thought the dark room shots would be in colour for a red monotone look. What about slowing down the shutter even more, and get the subject to move for half the exposure time, and then stand still at a pose for the other half?

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Ah... The film ones were shot with regular lights on. In one, she was preparing the chemicals. In the other, she was developing film, so everything was in the tank already.

The NEX photos were bad...

ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/3 second. We moved, but reduced in size doesn't look as bad as 100%. It's also very noisy at 100%

Darkroom-1.jpg
   ---            

To see if I could even do a film shot, the closest to the Sigma 19mm would be my 28mm/f3.5, so I matched the film settings on the NEX...

ISO 400, f/3.5, 3.2 seconds - I can go one second or Bulb with the IVSB. Wouldn't be able to use the self-timer. Pretty sure we moved a little here, but it also looks like I set the camera a little closer to the edge of the shelf, and ending up back-focusing since I didn't re-check it.

Darkroom-2.jpg
   ---            

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hey db, I did the same thing at my son's wedding. Lord knows how many shots this is. In the heat of the moment I sort of lost track. Gotta be at least 50. On a 36 exposure roll. Contax RTS II. I really don't miss film. Except for Velvia. ;)

http://bimjo.com/bimjoriginal/pics/forums/moabloop.jpg

I didn't even get one of those. When I realized the film wasn't winding, I put the camera in T mode, took off the lens, and opened the shutter. Sure enough, there was a nice old thumbprint on the film from where I push it up on to the sprockets (Damn bottom loader! :)) So I took off the bottom plate and reloaded the same roll of film.

I also managed a slight scare when the roll was finished: It stopped advancing as it should after 39(!) exposures (00, 0, 1-37). But got caught up during the manual rewind back into the canister. So I got out my winter coat and made my makeshift changing bag and opened up the camera. Now the film wouldn't come off the take up reel! When I was reloading it, I was so paranoid about it coming off again, I shoved it as far as it would go onto the reel and it wouldn't pull off!

Latest threads

Top Bottom