1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FASTSTONE Ver.5.5..........vs...........Corel Paintshop Pro X8

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by roundball, Feb 26, 2016.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    My interest is in local JPEG processing on a Windows PC.
    Downlloaded a 30 day trial just now:
    Seems very comprehensive.
    Menu items are written in plain terminology that is clear what they are for.
    Has the purple de-fringe feature that is all I use Lightroom for, maybe once a month.
    Has the Color Channel Swap for Infrared, that is all I use GIMP for.

Does anyone happen to have any personal knowledge of this product?

2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Well, I did use Paintshop Pro a lot there for awhile and loved it... back in the '90s on Windows 95.
    Sorry, I know that's not much help. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I use the X4 (old) version. I do most of my processing in C1P or LR but every now and then I want to do more with a photo and that's when PSP comes in. I think it's an awesome photo editor.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Have been running a few photos through it for the past few hours and have to stop...getting cross-eyed, LOL. I suspect this latest version is probably significantly different and more functionally loaded than the older previous versions each of you mentioned.
    In fact, this version has so much crammed into it...that I'll never use...that it seems to be a deterrent to finding things, ease of use, limited image screen size due to stuff all around the sides, etc.

When I compare the ease of use and processing speed using even just the basic adjustments, its slower both in using it...and in system response time...just as a couple online reviews said it would be. IE: I move a slider to change saturation and literally wait a few seconds while the change takes place on the screen in front of me...instead of the screen just blinking with the change like with Aviary or GIMP.

When I run an Infrared image through it...there's no comparison to GIMP...I'd rate GIMP a 10 and rate Corel PaintPro x8 Infrared capability a 5. The White Balance for Infrared is not as good as GIMP, and it doesn't produce the clean Infrared colors with Channel Swapping that GIMP does;

I'm disappointed but the Good News is I'm not stuck with it since its a free trial.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I remembered last night that I had downloaded "FastStone" that member ‘addieleman’ had mentioned year before last but I never got around to giving it a good try because I was just beginning to experiment with LR, then discovered Aviary online.
    So I brought FastStone up over coffee this morning, ran an image through it, and have to say it went pretty well. Since it looks like I'll have to keep GIMP for Infrared processing anyway, will try a few more regular images in FastStone on my laptop today and see how they compare to online results using Aviary...be great if it'll do as well.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Ran another image through FastStone and it also went well.
    Then wondered if there might be any upgrades to it, checked, found & downloaded 2 outstanding upgrades, then ran this moon shot through it for comparison to the one I'd already done using Aviary online.

So far I'm a happy camper:
    It opens and appears on my laptop as if its just another Windows folder;
    (where I prefer to keep all my photos anyway)

The FastStone user interface is laid out logically (for me);
    Easy & quick to find things;
    Provides a large screen image to work with;
    Changes process realtime and fast;
    Locally processed JPEGs seem as good as those from online Aviary I liked.

So I'm going to stick with FastStone 5.5 as a local laptop editor for a while and see if it turns out OK for the long haul.
    As an example, here's a JPEG that's only my 3rd photo through FastStone 5.5:
    ( Contrast 10, Highlights 10, Saturation 10, Sharpening 50 )

021716_PM 75% Waxing Moon 16_FS+Con10-HL10+Sat10+Shp50_+2M.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Faststone Image Viewer is what I've been using for my tweaking needs. All my images have been edited with it. I think it has the right balance of size and speed, and the interface is very well laid out and reasonably flexible. The tools are ones used often and they are effective. I also like the renaming batch tool built-in, tags, side by side comparison, quick pop out submenus from each side of the screen while in full screen mode.
    For a freebie app, it's most impressive. Haven't found a comparable JPEG app I'd rather use.

I think I recommended it to you when you first had trouble with photobucket.

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I recall you mentioning it back in the Fall...I'd already downloaded Faststone...just had not really given it any thorough examination as I was first spending time with LR, then started leaning towards Flickr and Aviary.
    (FastStone had come out with 2 more release updates since I'd first downloaded it...my version was 5.3, and 5.5 is now the latest).

Then realizing Flickr had it own set of issues was the final straw and I set about getting a standalone PC/Windows based editor once and for all, ended up digging into FastStone deeper than before and it looks good...spent some more time with FastStone today, realized I could rearrange some default settings to modify the user interface even more, and fine tuned it for my use...ran a couple more images through it and think it may be just what the doctor ordered.

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Cool!
    BTW, Besides Gimp, the other open-source supported imaging tool worth trying is Paint.Net. It started out as a replacement project for Window's Paint. But it's grown leaps and bounds. What I can't do in Faststone, I try Paint.Net, then Gimp. In rising order of capability and complication. ;)

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    As an aside, I sent FastStone a little donation, got a nice reply from them and they gave me a registration code for support, like commercial customers get.

I replied back, sharing that I also use Infrared and have to have GIMP installed just for the AWB (Auto White Balance) and Red/Blue Channel Swap features for Infrared.

Suggested if that was a fairly easy feature to add in FastStone, it might be something to consider for a future release, given it appears Infrared photography seem to be a growing segment.

• Like Like x 1
  11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Very pleased with this PC based 'FastStone' editor.

Caption under this Red Shouldered Hawk:
    "...must be a Sony NEX-7...can hear that loud shutter all the way over here..."

022816 E_RSH Studying Right 47_FS+Con25-HL30+Shad20+Sat50+Shp25.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Superb capture!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Fast stone is good. However PSP is also excellent, most of the power of PS at fraction of cost. I've been using X4 for years, and because of this thread just upgraded to X8 Ultimate (they offered me a cheap upgrade price when I inquired about it).

Once you get to know it, you will find it a very powerful editor.

• Informative Informative x 2