1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fast toggling the image aspect ratio with the NEX 5N?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by klausb, Sep 9, 2011.

1. klausb

klausb New to TalkEmount

Sep 9, 2011
    Hi NEX-ians,

I'm not yet a NEX 5N owner, but I'm already checking it against a few features I would like to have.
    One of it is the ability to change the aspect ratio very fast. The reason is, that for viewing on a HDTV I prefer 16:9 as format, but when I'm shooting photos in portrait mode, I'd like to have 3:2, otherwise they look really thin. Now I wonder if there is a fast way of changing between both ratios with the custom buttons or some other function. I did not had the chance to test with a real camera on how easy/complicated it is to navigate through the menus.

- klaus.

2. C Wadsworth

C Wadsworth TalkEmount Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    It does not appear that aspect ratio is a setting that can be applied to the custom keys - odd. So you are three button presses away. Should take you a couple of seconds to change.

3. DGM

DGM New to TalkEmount

Sep 5, 2011
    Agreed, it is not assignable to a custom key, but it is very quick.

Menu key
    Image Size
    Aspect Ratio

Selecting the aspect ratio the first time involves scrolling through the selections available. The nice thing is that the next time you go into that Image Size menu, the Aspect Ratio is remembered as your last choice and is already highlighted. Very quick.

So, after the first selection, no scrolling through menu items. Just click, click, click, choose 3:2 or 16:9, click, half press shutter button.

I hope that helps.
    DGM

4. klausb

klausb New to TalkEmount

Sep 9, 2011
    Hey guys,

thanks for the fast responses.

@DMG, what is the effect of the final half-press shutter button?

- klaus.

5. DGM

DGM New to TalkEmount

Sep 5, 2011

Sorry, it is just to exit the menu system and get back to live view, ready to shoot.

Best regards,
    DGM