Family Tree

Discussion in 'Nature' started by WestOkid, Apr 24, 2017.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I actually posted this already in the B&W thread but I wanted to share the story behind it because it's probable more interesting than the shot to a few of you

This is a visit to the dead trees of Manasquan Reservoir I've posted recently. This scene struck me as interesting because of the contrast of the dead tree and the bustling lives of the pigeons that made it home. The scene epitomizes something my Flickr friend Rich wrote on a previous post (The Sticks), “Life will go on”.

I was walking between locations and stopped because I was mesmerized by this scene. The pigeons where only flying back and forth to this one tree; I mean literally. I don't see them anywhere else in the park. In fact, I didn't know the park had pigeons. It has all sorts of birds, ducks, geese, gulls, but pigeons? I thought pigeons were city dwellers. :)

Anyway, as I'm trying to get the settings right for the silhouette into the sun, this guy comes behind me and says, "It moved to the other side, follow me. I'll show you." Puzzled, I ask, "What?" He responds, "the eagle. It's on the other side". I respond, "Oh. I was shooting the tree with the pigeons." He looks at me strange and almost shouts, "You’re taking a picture of the pigeon tree?" and he proceeds to walk away seemingly perplexed at the ridiculousness of my actions.

I'm sure he is also sharing the story of this weird guy who was at this beautiful park with scenery and wild life shooting common pigeons in a dead tree. lol

34060873902_0d7180edca_b. Family Tree by Gary, on Flickr

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I wanted to click multiple choices but of course couldn't so here they are:
    Informative
    Funny

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    What's wrong with you taking photos of pigeons? :D

Actually, I really like the shot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Its a nice photo indeed (and the story behind it) and the two flying birds really add to it ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hell, I thought it was a great silhouette, eagle or no.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Great story behind the shot. Love the shot too!
    The pigeons are probably staying grounded in this tree due to the presence of an eagle. Whenever an eagle or hawk is circling in the neighborhood, the other birds head for the trees.

7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i loved the image without the story. That said, I enjoy the picture even more with the story!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    A picture is worth a thousand words. However your story added that little extra.
    Both are wonderful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    QUOTE="roundball, post: 131339, member: 2627"]I wanted to click multiple choices but of course couldn't so here they are:[/QUOTE]

I've always wanted to ask about this, ie, why can't one click multiple responses? Amin Sabet is it possible to do this?

• Like Like x 1
  10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Great story and great picture too, the two flying pigeons make it really work. :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1