Falls in Fall

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WestOkid, Oct 21, 2016.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    For those that don't now, the Northeast US experiencing the worst drought in over a decade. Waterfalls and creeks are drying up, Autumn foliage reportedly isn't vibrant and when colors come, the lifespan is short. So what do I decide?
    It's a good time to take some days off and shoot waterfalls in the fall!:biggrin:

Falls In Fall-1.

Falls In Fall-2.

Falls In Fall-5.

Falls In Fall-3.

Falls In Fall-4.

Falls In Fall-6.

Falls In Fall-7.

I enjoyed my time off. I had to embrace the fact that, yes the water levels are not what we call normal, but as far as nature is concerned, it's just another version of normal. The falls and the foliage are still beautiful; they really are. In some ways due to the drought conditions this season, they are rather unique.

The 3 Falls are Dingmans (PA), Bushkill (PA) and Hemlock (NJ).
    Shot with Sony A7r, SEL1635Z or SEL2470Z + filters (Polarizer, GND, ND)

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 9
  2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Lovely location and great shots, the fall colours look striking too, a great time of year for photography.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Still very beautiful settings, drought or no drought. You got some really nice results from that one battery.
    # 3 and 5 my favorites.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I tried to pick out a favorite. But I can't. They're all great!

No wait! OK. The last one!

No, the 2nd!

No...

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Very nice shots !!

6. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    A beautiful location!!
    A well captured set

Mike

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great photos Gary. Impressive location! Last one is my favorite - you played very good with the foreground element that enhances the composition. It leads the viewers eye directly to the subject - the waterfall ;)

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Just lovely fall coloring, even if the river is a bit weak.

9. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks all.

Like I said, I really enjoyed getting getting out with nature for a couple days. Waterfall chasing is pretty cool, since even if you have seen the falls in pictures, or you yourself have been there, it is always changing. The seasons, the flow, the light are all in play. You are never quite sure what nature will provide when you finally arrive at the falls. The last time I was at Bushkills, the flow was so powerful that if you stood 50 yards away, you were getting soaked. I felt like I was at a water park and needed a bathing suit. I tested the A7 weather sealing that day. As you can see from #2 and 4, Bushkills was very different this time, it's power was subdued, but it was still an incredible sight.

And for those of you that read that little mishap I had with leaving my extra battery. Well that happened when I went to Pennsylvania. The plan was to hit 3 locations. Dingmans, BushKills, and Raymondskill. I only got to the first 2 before the battery died, but I can't complain. The next day I stayed in New Jersey and hit Hemlock, which is the last image.

I want to get back to Pennsylvania or even upstate NY for a few more while the leaves are still colorful, but my disappearing acts may already be testing my wife's patience. What do you think? :hmmm:

10. davect01

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

FYI: You can charge your camera via your cars 12V system if you are out and about.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    True. But if A) I've forgotten to charge the battery in the camera, and B) I've forgotten to carry any spare batteries, then it's a safe bet that I've forgotten to bring along a charging cable for the camera as well. :dash2:

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Wouldn't be an issue for android users.
    Even so, hiking back to the car and sitting for an hour or more as you charge a camera is not likely to inspire creativity.:(

13. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I don't recall if the A7, A7ii, A7R have in-body charging.
    There's a little $3.50 USB Sony batt charger on ebay. Even includes a cable. I assume most of us already have a 12V to USB port for the car, leaving one of these batt chargers in the glove box is a nice idea.

USB Camera Battery Charger For Sony NP-FW50 Alpha A3000 A3500 A5000 A5100 A6000 | eBay

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. davect01

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

As an android user, my charger IS the same as my cameras and I have one permanently in the car.

My one and only experience doing this I had forgotten to charge the battery and double check to see if it was full before leaving the house. I was an hour away from a family birthday party and when filling up at the gas station it dawned on me that I did not do a battery check. I had about 15%, so I plugged into the car on the way there and was able to get to about 85%.:biggrin:

I assumed that since the A6XXX series has wired charging the A7XXX series does as well, but I have no idea.

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well done! Not sure what a normal flow for this time of year is, but sometimes less is more. :) Tough to pick a fave, though #5 & the last really grab me.

16. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Jim. and I agree less can be more. Here's a shot of Bushkill from last year for reference.
    Bushkill Falls

huge difference.

• Wow Wow x 2
  17. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Very nice set, Gary. Well done. I went out last week to take a shot at a Dam nearby and was confronted both with some of the lowest water levels I have seen in some time as well as a much less color than I anticipated for this time of year. I agree with Jim. Sometimes less is more and I think the light flow adds its own charm to these images.

18. davect01

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Wow, that is a massive difference.

19. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA