Facelifted Capture Camera Clip Nex-5R

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Skipperjonce, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Hi Guys and Gals,

Just thought I'd post a mini review of the updated Peak Design Capture Camera Clip with the Micro plate that has been specifically developed for Nex size cameras.

Firstly, just a quick winge about the Australian stockist. They advertised plenty of stock on their website so of course I made my order. Approximately 5 days later I had an email saying that actually they didn't have it in stock and would I mind waiting 2 more weeks. Raaagh! That makes me so crazy! Anyway, I won't name names, but lets just say they are the 'top' Australian retail dealer on Peak Designs dealer list. If they ever read this, please up your damn game!

I eventually sourced a unit from the Hong Kong dealer who managed to ship it to Australia for $10 cheaper anyway :) Big thanks to digitalrev.com for their help.

Onto the review:

8476960179_076bd0b839_z.
    DSC00117 by Skipperjonce, on Flickr

The micro plate sits quite nicely against the base of the Nex. I like the profiled edges that stop it snagging in my Crumpler.

8476955447_efe1d53da3_z.
    DSC00120 by Skipperjonce, on Flickr

The whole system feels very well engineered and built to last.

8476940969_217664e8d2_z.
    DSC00126 by Skipperjonce, on Flickr

I found the best position with my old belt is at a 45 degree angle. The Nex5 sits well like this and isn't at all uncomfortable to walk with.

8476948169_5a5d317ed8_z.
    DSC00123 by Skipperjonce, on Flickr

With the 55-210 lens in place it had the tendency to pull my shorts down until I tightened my belt right up.

8476941827_9fe4a5dbb7_z.
    DSC00125 by Skipperjonce, on Flickr

8478055940_e74e0528ea_z.
    DSC00114 by Skipperjonce, on Flickr

I've made a couple of bush walks with the clip and I am still getting used to the release system. I never was in doubt of the security of the system and I must say I am very pleased with it in use. I've not tried it on a backpack strap yet but I have read that it is even more comfortable like that. I was a little unsure as these things aint cheap, but this one is a keeper. Good effort Peak Design - I'll give you an 8 out of 10.

Attached Files:

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Cool design. I can see myself using that vs. a neck strap since it's fixed in place and not swinging around.

3. Skipperjonce

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Yeah, I tried very briefly with the neck strap and with it slung under my arm and the swinging around drove me wild. Apparently you can even go jogging with the capture clip set-up, but I might give that a miss!

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice.

I use a much simpler system to belt attach and love it.

5. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Can this also be used for tripod mounting? That was one issue I have with the 5n.

6. Skipperjonce

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Hi Dave,

Actually it was seeing your simple idea of the s-carabiner that inspired me to try out this kind of mount. I did get hold of an s-biner and anchor which I used for a couple of weeks. I found that the camera still swung around too much for my liking and the rhythm of walking kept contacting the screen with the pocket rivet on my jeans.

This led me to see if a more rigid system was available commercially, and Peak Design seemed the most interesting solution.

So thanks Dave for pointing me in the right direction :)

To WT21, check out the website for details. The Micro plate is apparently compatible with ARCA type tripod heads.

7. rungunshoot

rungunshoot TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 12, 2013
    What about sitting with that thing? Doesn't it get uncomfortable? I tried the Black Widow holster with my NEX and found it uncomfortable sitting at tables, in cars, pretty much any situation other than walking.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad to lead you to this point. Each person will find what works for them.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Once you get used to it though it is no big deal. You just have to pay attention a little more when sitting.

The same goes if you have a neck strap, or hand strap.