1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

F-mount experts

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by CJScott, Apr 26, 2016.

1. CJScott

CJScott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2015
    Clarkston, MI
    Carlos Scott
    I did it again. I bought a new old lens.

I bought the Nikon 80-200 f4 since I had some eBay bucks to get rid of. Anyway, what adapter are you guys using?
    I see the cheapo ones and can't bring myself to get past the one-star reviews, and was wondering, how likely is it that the lens will get stuck?

Also, I've never really had a problem with infinity focus, or rather, if I remember to, I adjust and don't always settle for the lens' limit; I don't think the adapter's inability to focus at infinity is that big of an issue. Or, is it?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It can be, if the adapter prevents the lens from reaching infinity. I've had one do that to me on a Nikon 180mm. The eBay vendor replaced it, but the second copy behaved the same way. I finally had to buy a different brand. And before you ask, no, sorry, I don't remember the adapters' brand names.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I had the same experience with a Konica adapter that wouldn't let the Konica 40/1.8 get to infinity. I didn't bother to return it and just bought an adapter of a different design; not just a different brand name because regularly one Chinese adapter design is sold under different brand names. Most adapters allow you to focus "past infinity" which I actually like because it allows you to find the optimum focus for far-away subjects. The distance scale on the lens isn't accurate anymore so scale focussing isn't an option unless you shim the adapter/lens combo.

I also use Novoflex adapters and they are intentionally made 0.07 mm short as I have read. A Polish manufacturer proudly claims that his adapters are very well made, which is true, and have the exact register distance; probably true as well and annoying because my Canon FD 35/2 wouldn't focus to infinity as opposed to the other FD lenses.

Oh yeah, and I never have had one of my 150+ lenses stuck on any of my 20+ adapters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I went with the Metabones adapter, the one with the tripod mount bracket (is it called that?). Expensive but I feel its worth the money.

• Like Like x 1
  5. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    I have fotodiox for both Olympus and Nikon. Happy with both.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CJScott

CJScott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2015
    Clarkston, MI
    Carlos Scott
    Thank you all! Time to roll the dice!

7. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I'd try the K&F adapters on Amazon. I have one for the A7 and my M43 kit. They're built nicely and aren't too expensive (under $20 USD). Honestly I don't find the Metabones adapters as anything special. The most precise adapters I've used are from Voigtlander (allowing for accurate use of the lens distance scale), unfortunately I think they stopped making adapters for the Sony E to Nikon F mount.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JLBrown

JLBrown New to TalkEmount

Oct 26, 2013
    I've been using the Fotodiox brand that I've purchased from Amazon for several years and never had an issue. I like to use them on my E Series lenses.

• Like Like x 1