• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

F E Mount Lens work with a6300?

Kcobb7099

New to TalkEmount
I am newer to the a 6300 and was looking at the FE 100-400 lens will it work? Will an adaptor be needed?

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
FE lenses will work on any e-mount camera, so yes. In addition, FE lenses are "full frame". Since you will be using it on a crop sensor camera, you will get the advantage of the 1.5x crop factor. The lens will effectively be a 150-600mm lens, as least as far as reach is concerned.

Jeep Captain

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
Yes. It will work on your a6300. No adapter is needed. Tamron makes a 100-400 in Nikon & Canon mount. You may want to check that out. The lens in Canon mount and a Sigma MC 11 Canon to Sony e mount adapter would be less than $1000 where the Sony lens is $2500

Christop82

TalkEmount Regular
Another option is the sony A 70-400 ssm ii with the la-ea3 adapter. Around $1400 used. I would probably go with the native FE 70-300 or FE 70-200 f4 as my first options.

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
Will work, but realize since it is designed as a full frame lens, you will only be utilizing the area that covers your cropped sensor.

Kcobb7099

New to TalkEmount
Yes. It will work on your a6300. No adapter is needed. Tamron makes a 100-400 in Nikon & Canon mount. You may want to check that out. The lens in Canon mount and a Sigma MC 11 Canon to Sony e mount adapter would be less than $1000 where the Sony lens is $2500
I f I were to that route would the camera lose the faster shutter speed. I tried an adaptor for my take on f2 70-200 and the speed was not there at all....disappointed with that. I want the focal length for sports and action shots

Kcobb7099

New to TalkEmount
I f I were to that route would the camera lose the faster shutter speed. I tried an adaptor for my take on f2 70-200 and the speed was not there at all....disappointed with that. I want the focal length for sports and action shots
**Tamron

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Kcobb7099 - What adapter did you use? The MC-11 is noted for being an excellent Canon adapter. I've seen many excellent bird-in-flight images made using this adapter with long Canon lenses.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
My results with the MC-11 or Metabones IV adapters with Canon EF lenses on my A6500 are hot and cold. Generally, I much prefer the native Sony glass. As an example, I have used the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens on my A6500 with the MC-11 adapter. Although the results were fine - I much prefer using the native Sony F 85mm f/1.8 lens because the focus is quicker and it seems a bit more accurate.

Regarding a telephoto lens for a crop sensor camera: I have been using the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on both crop sensor and full frame Canon DSLR cameras and I just love the combination of focal range, relative light weight (in comparison to a 100-400mm or a 70-200mm f/2.8).
I bought the IS model as soon as it was introduced and have carried it all over the world and shot everything from travel photos to human and dog portraits. In fact, I could get along just fine for virtually all of my shooting with only the EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and the 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses on a crop sensor Canon camera.

Even though it is lighter in weight than the other two lenses I mentioned, the 70-200mm f/4 is still a bit heavy. I bought the 6500 because I want a light weight travel outfit. The Sony 85mm f/1.8 is the longest modern lens that I own for this camera.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
My results with the MC-11 or Metabones IV adapters with Canon EF lenses on my A6500 are hot and cold. Generally, I much prefer the native Sony glass. As an example, I have used the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens on my A6500 with the MC-11 adapter. Although the results were fine - I much prefer using the native Sony F 85mm f/1.8 lens because the focus is quicker and it seems a bit more accurate.

Regarding a telephoto lens for a crop sensor camera: I have been using the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on both crop sensor and full frame Canon DSLR cameras and I just love the combination of focal range, relative light weight (in comparison to a 100-400mm or a 70-200mm f/2.8).
I bought the IS model as soon as it was introduced and have carried it all over the world and shot everything from travel photos to human and dog portraits. In fact, I could get along just fine for virtually all of my shooting with only the EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and the 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses on a crop sensor Canon camera.

Even though it is lighter in weight than the other two lenses I mentioned, the 70-200mm f/4 is still a bit heavy. I bought the 6500 because I want a light weight travel outfit. The Sony 85mm f/1.8 is the longest modern lens that I own for this camera.

That Canon 70-200 f/4L IS was my favorite lens when I was shooting Canon. Great image quality and manageable size.
The Sony APS-C bodies are excellent travel cameras. I've enjoyed the affordable and small 55-210 OSS zoom as part of my travel kit. When that extra reach is wanted, it comes in handy. It's very good at the wide end, all the way up to 180mm it's consistent with the results returned. (Mine) It's weaker at 210mm being slower, but compensating for vibrations (stopped down, tripod, shutter delay or remote), I've gotten clean sharp shots at 210mm.

Latest threads

Top Bottom