1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

f/8 or f/1.8?

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by dbmiller, May 14, 2018.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Never mind the other differences. Which aperture do you prefer for this?
    18-05-13 Mine Falls Park 0021.
    ILCE-7RM3    Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55 mm F1.8 ZA (SEL55F18Z)    55mm    f/1.8    1/2000s    ISO 100
    18-05-13 Mine Falls Park 0027.
    ILCE-7RM3    Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55 mm F1.8 ZA (SEL55F18Z)    55mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 100

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    f/8. For me the bright blurs in the f/1.8 pic attract too much attention.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I like the f/1.8 shot but I'd like to see it with the fill flash. (Probably easier said than done...)

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    f/1.8 image. The natural light's angle is creating a flattering shadow on you. The DOF and bokeh is preferred.
    The flash fill is too harsh for my taste in the f/8 image. Both has flattened the image.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I also find the oof elements in the f1.8 are too distracting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    There are many good choices between f/1.8 and f/8.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Thanks all for the comments. I'm still trying to learn how to use the darn flash. Struggling between getting the right amount of ambient, and not making the flash so obvious.

The flash actually fired on the 1.8 shot in HSS mode, but no return was detected, and I wasn't sure the TT685 could provide enough light for that shutter.

I've got one from another location where I think I got it better, and because of the shade, I was able to keep the shutter speed to 1/250th and aperture was f/2.5... No f/8 to compare with, though...

18-05-13 Mine Falls Park 0043.
    ILCE-7RM3    Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55 mm F1.8 ZA (SEL55F18Z)    55mm    f/2.5    1/160s    ISO 100

I actually had both the TT350 and TT685 with me. There was one location where I tried to set up a shot with one flash being the master but not firing, and the other would fire off camera. But I didn't remember all the settings I had to change and couldn't get the off camera flash to fire. And I left the manuals at home. :( 

• Like Like x 5
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I see, then if the flash fired, it for sure didn't overfill the natural light. It worked out though.
    The third shot I like best, most flattering light.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.