Eye cup or not eye cup, that is the question..

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by robinchun, Jan 22, 2017.

1. robinchun

robinchun TalkEmount Regular

Nov 17, 2016
    Bristol, England
    Robin Chun
    .. silly I know, but do you use the eye cup on your a6000 or not..I find it a bit of a nuisance when taking in and out of my bag

Robin

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I do find it can become detached more easily than I would like. I even lost one and had to buy a replacement, which was hard to get at the time.

But, for me it is much more comfortable to use the EVF, so yes I do use it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I use it because I shoot and review with the EVF nearly 100%. So I live with the protrusion.
    Actually I wish the eye cup was more wider to seal out light leakage better. Perhaps someone out there will sell a replacement...rounder, wider, and softer. Then it can fold in like a rubber lens hood does. Keeping it out of the way when stored.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I ordered Sony's larger eyecups for the NEX7 models...needed them and they're great.
    But I also noticed they could catch and pop off occasionally.
    Bought a tube of black silicone bathtub sealer and laid a line around the joint on all 3 sides.
    Haven't come off since, yet I know I could peel the sealer off and remove them if I have to.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    I dont use it. It keep falling off, it's cumbersome in the bag, it's not working well with my eye as its too stiff and i have to use other cover from stong sun as its insufficient anyway (im wearing baseball cap whole year).

6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I've lost a couple. Bought a pkg of 5 from Evil-bay at one point. Haven't lost one since I moved from a backpack to a sling bag with side access.

Pain when you lose it. Just about poke your eye out the first time to lift it up to your eye.

7. sliver-surfer

sliver-surfer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    I made a really simple solution for your problem with a DIY eyecup that you can make with scissors and shelf liner

• Like Like x 2
  8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't know if it's just me, but I noticed that the eyecup on the Nex/Alpha 6xxx line up is easier to fall/de-attach than that on the A7xxx lineup :confused-69:

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    My NEX-6, it was always coming off. Applied a touch of contact cement, no issues.

On my A6000, it has never come off.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Mine only popped off once, luckily it happened within a bag and not on my side.