1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Extra Battery & Charger - what brand???

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by New2Nex, Oct 13, 2012.

1. New2Nex

New2Nex TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    Hello,

I will definitely need to buy a charger and spare battery for my camera. Besides the Sony brand, are there any other brands you trust that work well and that are less expensive? I have a NEX 5R. Thank you!

2. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    The people here would have to confirm this. But the new version of the Wasabi kit on Amazon is supposed to be working with the 5n and possibly the 7. Just search "wasabi battery nex" and check reviews. The 5r is still pretty new so aftermarket may take a bit to catch up.

3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I wouldn't get a third party one until you get confirmation that it works with the 5r. The first batteries that worked with the 3 and 5 didn't work with the c3/f3/5n/7. Camera makers keep adding features to make you buy real branded accessories, so it wouldn't surprise me if the current aftermarkets don't work in the 5r or 6.

This was the one I got for the 5n, which worked for me. The seller now lists the 5r and 6 as working, but I don't know if it has been confirmed...

i-Lion NP-FW50 Battery fr Sony NEX-7 NEX-6 NEX-5N NEX-5 NEX-5R NEX-F3 NEX-C3 A55 | eBay

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Any issues using third party batteries once they are confirmed working?

5. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    I bought the Wasabi kit; it worked fine on my 5R, and continues to work fine on my 6...

6. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Do you get any more or less shots per charge than you do with the OEM battery?

7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Bought 2 times a third party battery in a shop (not on the net and 2 different brands), both did not work on my 5N...

8. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    I bought this unit for $16 from Ebay. Charges fine and works well in my 5R. Has what appears to be the correct percentage count in the display.

I've not undertaken any scientific stress testing but I have found no difference between this and the original for endurance.

9. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    If there's a difference, it's fairly small. The last time I paid much attention was shooting a couple of weeks ago with a radio flash trigger (pocket wizard) and I was watching a little more closely than usual since I didn't know how much battery the trigger was taking; at 250 exposures I had dropped from 100% to 48%, so I swapped batteries and shot another 250 or so exposures and ended up at 50%, both with the Wasabi batteries.