1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

External power unit for nex 5r?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Utik, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Hello, I'd like to know if the NEX 5R can be connected to an external power unit (Ac supplyer?) to shoot long video on a tripod?
    Do you think there will be overheating issues that will limit the length of the recording?

And more, does sony has power units that works with Nex 5R and also moderns A7 and A7r?

Thanks in advance
    Federico

2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    This seems the one you're looking for.

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/ac-pw20

I don't know about A7/R since I don't own one, but if they use the same battery with your NEX-5R then it should be usable.

I only heard overheating issues with NEX-5N and 7, but there's a limitation on the recording time, about 40 minutes if I'm not mistaken, due to a regulation that says that any digital system that is able to record movie longer than 40 minutes (?) is to be classified as video recorder and not digital camera (hence it will be charged with higher tax amount).

3. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
  4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    The 5R can actually charge over micro USB, so you could probably do it with just a normal battery in there and a standard USB charger.

You would need to experiment a little, the USB charger would need a decent current output and I have found the camera is quite fussy. Many non sony chargers don't seem to work

5. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    mmmmmm 30 min is not good, I guess I will have to use a gopro.

6. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Be careful. The time limitation is a regulation of some kind which is applicable to all of these cameras. I do not know if it applies to dedicated video cameras but it certainly does to still cameras with video capability.