1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

external microphone nex series

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Aug 20, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi I wanted to ask if someone can also plug other microphones in the nex cameras.
    I only know the ECM-SST1 but my wife would also like to see if she can somehow use her professional mics for recording.

Regards
    Alex

2. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    • Like Like x 1
  3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Oh God... no possible then :(

4. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    do you have a smart phone? if so you can record the audio separately on that with one of the many excellent audio recording apps. Just be sure to sync the audio and video with a clap or snap of fingers at the start.

I have a shotgun mic and lapel mic and I have tried both his way, you do need a movie making program to swap out the audio but you wont need to hack up your sony mic or flash.

5. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I thought long and hard about this issue of sound recording.

I wish my NEX 5N had the Mic input, so that I'd have sound that matched the quality of the video.

I have a pretty nice mobile phone though - a Galaxy Note - and I'm sure if I can hook up a decent external microphone to that I'd get good sound recording.

But I think if you want really nice sound you need to invest in a separate audio recorder and sync the audio afterwards.

6. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    No actually you can get amazing audio on your phone, trust me. I get 320kbs mp3 from an app called Hi q mp3 recorder. I then splice it in with Sony Vegas. Tried it on a few android devices with a shotgun mic and lapel mic I have and the audio is surprisingly good. App only cost a few quid too. Give it a try, or one of the others on Google play. Your phone has a much better processor than the likes of the zoom (which I ended up not buying)

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I will go for buying the external audio device to capture audio. Is it possible then to prevent from nex videos including the sound?

Regards
    Alex

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, you can disable the sound recording in the settings menu.

9. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    Keep the sound from the Nex, it will help you sync you other source. Then just delete the Nex internal mic track once synced.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I was just about to buy the Tascam DR-07MKII when I ran across this old thread.

I am learning toward an external audio recorder instead of the Sony mic ECM-XYST2M because I want to record the nightly conversations with my son. I am new to video and am also going to be trying to figure out some inexpensive software to synch the audio with the video (looking for Windows, Mac, or Linux).

I just downloaded Hi q MP3 Recorder based on Mathieu's suggestion to alaios. This will probably be my "trial" before taking the jump to the Tascam.

Does anyone have other suggestions? Thanks!!!

11. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I just use iMovie. If you turn on wave forms, drag the external audio in, line it up with the internally captured sound from the camera by sight, looking at the matching peaks in the waveform, mute the video audio and off you go.
    I use this method when recording the school play (my Mrs is the deputy head so I get drafted in every year). I set up 6 cameras, 5 static, one with me manning it, and then use 1 audio source and cut to different shots syncing them by sight as described above. Once you get the hang of it it takes only 10 seconds per cut - given it sounds like you will only need to do one sync (not 200 or so I have too!) I'd say you'll be good with this method! Plus, on a newish mac iMovie is free now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks Jose! I will definitely try that method using my Android phone with Hi q MP3 Recorder and see if I can get it right before I decide to buy an external audio recorder.

Based on how you describe your setup I am guessing that you are using something much more advanced than the DR -07MKII! What external audio recorder are you using? Do you have any thoughts on the Tascam?

13. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    The whole stage is mic'd and the 3 main characters have headsets (I sorted the school out last year with a nice setup!). So I record direct off the sound desk to my laptop, and then extract the audio from one of the cameras and merge it with the desk sound to get some ambiance - the resulting sound is what I then take as my master to sync the various video back to.

Out of interest, what's the problem with the built in mic on the camera? It's actually really good (hence I use it for the ambient sound) and for your purposes should pickup a conversation no problem...

14. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Oh, and the iMovie background noise reduction and vocal EQ options are really effective BTW. I generally set the noise reduction at 30% - above that it suppresses it too much and starts making it sound odd!

15. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    The driving reasons for me are really to try and keep from losing anymore of those special moments with my 4 year old and to make sure that I am capturing not only the sights, but also the sounds - so to speak - of my new kiddo on the way (due around Christmas). My son just started a Karate class and I was recording him in front of the class as he recited the school's creed. He has a fairly quiet voice and when he was doing it for the first time, he was a little shy. It was the most adorable (oh wait, I'm the dad!) - I mean awesome moment! I have the video from it, but there is so much background noise that you can't hear him (mostly my wife and I talking about how cool it was) and I feel like I missed the most important part...

Those are the real reasons. No professional aspirations or anything like that. I just don't want to miss the complete moments when I can.

16. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    In which case, a good directional mic mounted on the camera is going to get you by far the simplest/best results. The Sony one with the multi interface shoe is expensive, but very good...