• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

External flashes on Nex cameras

chaser

New to TalkEmount
I am wondering what experience you all have had with nex flash system. I had Nex-3 and the lack of a hot shoe or sync plug drove me craze. Looking around the net I have seen posts from people using wireless triggers connected to optical triggers to rig up flash sync.
Like this
Wireless flash trigger for Sony NEX | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Anyway, I am just curious what your experiences were. I am on the fence between the Nex-7 and 5N, and I definitely like the 5n sensor and price, but the convenience of a real hotshoe is a definite plus for the 7.

teshi

TalkEmount Rookie
Optical flash - still a no no for me. When I go off camera, I just want off camera so im looking at the 7 and run a chord or proper RF triggers! So much more options available to really contend with the majority of work I plan to do.

So far the NEX-5 is holding up very well and finding it hard to justify going for the 5n (same would apply if I had the NEX-3) so the 7 just makes more sense IMO.

Henry Peach

TalkEmount Rookie
I don't think I can go back to optical flash triggers. If anyone spots a 3' flash cord that would work for the NEX-3 please let me know. I just want to be able to get the flash off camera a bit. Nothing tricky, just held out to the side. I'd be willing to buy an extra NEX flash to disassemble to see if I could make my own, but I think that I'd also need a NEX-3 camera body to get the other end of the cord from.

chaser

New to TalkEmount
Even just an off camera cord would be nice. Although I would still hate to have to wait for the nex flash to recharge between shots. Hopefully the Nex 7 signals that they will keep putting hot shoes on at least their flagship cameras.

robertro

TalkEmount Rookie
This has been an achilles heel of the NEX-3 and 5.

I suspect that the odd fellow who designed the old Minolta proprietary flashes was given the job of designing the Sony flash interfaces.

Does the 7 have a real standard hot shoe or cable connection or does it just connect to more Sony stuff?

chaser

New to TalkEmount
It looks to have the full sized sony hot shoe. Not as good as a regular shoe, but it'll do the trick.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
The proprietary Sony/Minolta hot shoe can be converted to a standard hot shoe with an adapter (either the $100 one that Sony sells or a $20 one on Amazon). This will be helpful for connecting studio strobes, standard flashes, and wireless radio triggers to the NEX-7.

jfazer

TalkEmount Regular
That's the only thing I don't like of the Nex5... If it would be able to handle external flashes, it would be perfect and probably I would sell my canon camera...

Greetings...

Latest threads

Top Bottom