1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

External flash for my a6000?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Lensify, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Lensify

Lensify TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 7, 2016
    Kenneth
    Any recommendation guys? Affordable external flash for my a6k. I only know yongnuo IV and i still dont know what trigger is compatible with my a6k. Do you know any other external flashes that i can use? Thank you. This group has been very helpful. Thanks

2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    What exactly are you looking for in that flash ?

Wireless trigger capabilities ? Compactness ? HSS ?

I wanted a reasonably powerful flash with HSS and TTL, and ended up getting an old Minolta 3600HS(D) on another forum for $50 (+ $20 adapter). It is large but lightweight (about the size of Canon 430 EX but noticeably lighter), fully automatic (you can still adjust the output by setting FEC on camera), built like a tank, and extremely reliable. About the only complaint I have about it is that it only swivels up/donwn and not to the sides, so I can't have it bounce off the ceiling while holding the camera in a portrait orientation.

It's bigger brother Minolta 5400 HS(D) is more powerful, and imho swivels both ways and has manual controls.

I looked at other flashes but they all seemed much more expensive and with iffy longevity based on reviews. But smaller.

3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Since youre talking about triggers I suppose you want a flash for off camera use. Ive got the Godox TT685s ( 2 to be exact) and th X1T-S trigger which I like very much. Also to consider albeit somewhere more expensive is the V860II with lithium battery.
    Nissin also have some interesting flashes.
    TTL off camera bounceflash
    DSC07444.JPG

TTL off camera softed flash
    DSC07816.JPG
    My macro "softbox"
    DSC_0140.JPG

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Godox tt685s or v860iis for HSS and TTL if you're looking for one that can be also used as an off camera flash :thumbsup:

The new Nissin i60 also looks like a nice/capable unit and its more compact/better fit for the a6000 as an on camera flash
    Nissin also has the Di700A and i40 which lots are using

5. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I would say that for A6000 the Godox are off camera flash only :) they can be used on camera but they are heavier than the camera itself and ruins the balance and handling. For on camera use the Nissin i40 or one of the small Metz flash would be better.
    It would be cool if Godox had one like this on the program

Product information: Metz

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  6. AzmiC Ab

AzmiC Ab New to TalkEmount

Aug 13, 2016
    Maybe you might want to consider Speedlite from Yongnuo YN560 IV & pair it with Yongnuo RF605C for wireless flash trigger. I use it, cheap but works perfectly for A6000.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using TalkEmount app

7. Lensify

Lensify TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 7, 2016
    Kenneth
    I thiught that kind of trigger works only on canon?

8. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Manual mode only, works on all cameras.

9. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    There are plenty of options so its up to you whether you want full control incl TTL and HSS or can life with changing the output manually.

10. sliver-surfer

sliver-surfer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    -Multishoe to Alpha flash adapter (ADP-MAA)$30-$40
    -Pixel King for sony(has HSS TTL)$90
    15357_p1.
    -Minolta ProgramD 3600hs$60-$100 or Program 5600hs $150ish
    _144635294424545960492557797904613752902.
    The flashes wont do HSS if articulated on camera so I got around that by mounting on tripod or laying them flash towards bounce surface. Another tip.. for HSS you need the front curtain E-shutter off otherwise you may get bottom shadow

11. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I think it's worth noting that you can have the godox V860II+X1 trigger for around the same amount, 245$. The TT685+X1 is about 165$ @ amazon. TTL and HSS works without quirks with those.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. sliver-surfer

sliver-surfer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    Cool!! good to know. I've been using and enjoying my setup for quite some time..I haven't been window shopping for flashes for a couple years.