• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

External Flash for A6000?

dragion

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
William
I'm trying to decide if I should purchase an external flash for my A6000?
I'm not a flash type of person, but I know at times having a flash can be very helpful.

I find that the built in flash is pretty weak and was thinking of an external flash that has TTL ability with the A6000.
I considered the HVL-F20M, but is it that much better than the built in flash...it only has bounce/direct function.

The HVL-F43M seems to be the way to go, but I don't want a large flash and find it expensive for my minimum use.

Suggestions...please.

José De Bardi

Assistant in Virtue
Real Name
José
I went with a Nikon SB-700 - you only get manual control but its a great flash. However it is only slightly cheaper than the HVL-F43M.

To be honest, while I am happy with it, I am thinking of selling it and getting the HVL-F43M as well as TTL would make life a lot quicker in many situations.

Like you, I don't use a flash often, but when I do, I want a decent one!

dragion

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
William
I went with a Nikon SB-700 - you only get manual control but its a great flash. However it is only slightly cheaper than the HVL-F43M.

To be honest, while I am happy with it, I am thinking of selling it and getting the HVL-F43M as well as TTL would make life a lot quicker in many situations.

Like you, I don't use a flash often, but when I do, I want a decent one!

I actually have the Yongnuo YN 565EX for my D7000, which I think is good enough for my needs...plus it was only $105 on Amazon.
I sold my SB-400 for $100, so basically I only paid $5 for the Yongnuo. :biggrin:

I prefer something small for the A6000 and would have liked if the HVL-F20M was more functional.
I think the HVL-F43M is a bit large for the A6000.

dragion

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
William
Currently on Craigslist the Sony HVL-20M is going for $110 FIRM.
Is it worth purchasing?

Will this work wirelessly with the A6000 & YN 565EX?

Need responses ASAP!

Thanks! :)

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I do like the 20 for the price, but to make the best use of the camera in the most situations, the 43 is necessary. Alas, both is the best answer, so grab whichever comes up at the best price. The 20 can also trigger the 43 wirelessly, the on-camera flash can't.

dragion

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
William
I do like the 20 for the price, but to make the best use of the camera in the most situations, the 43 is necessary. Alas, both is the best answer, so grab whichever comes up at the best price. The 20 can also trigger the 43 wirelessly, the on-camera flash can't.

I have contacted the seller and he is willing to except $100 for the HVL-20M.
Will it be beneficial flash over the built in on my A6000?

I'm also interested in purchasing "like new" SEL 50mm f/1.8 for $200 shipped from private seller.

I can only buy one...but which one?

Advice...please.

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
we don't know what you intend to shoot, so we can't give advice on the flash vs. lens choice.

the hvl-20m does not have high speed sync capability, so it won't flash at shutter speeds faster than 1/160th(??) on the a6000.

i'd rather have a flash that's too big for the camera, instead of one that's limited to 1/160th max shutter speed.

dragion

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
William
Thanks for all the useful info/advice.
I have decided to go with the SEL 50mm f/1.8 lens instead...It will be more useful for my photography.

I'll wait until there are more flash options for the A6000...such as the Nissin i40's release or until the price of the HVL-43M has been lowered.

dragion

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
William
Help required.....

UPDATE:

I decided to purchase the HVL-F20M from Craigslist seller.

Since my knowledge regarding flash photography is basically nil...is there a way to set up the A6000 with the HVL-F20M as a main trigger and have the Yongnuo YN-565EX as a slave?
Just to let you know the YN-565EX is for my Nikon and not for the Sony.
I guess the YN-565EX will have to be in S2 mode...correct?

Any assistance will be helpful.

xXx1

TalkEmount All-Pro
UPDATE:

I decided to purchase the HVL-F20M from Craigslist seller.

Since my knowledge regarding flash photography is basically nil...is there a way to set up the A6000 with the HVL-F20M as a main trigger and have the Yongnuo YN-565EX as a slave?
Just to let you know the YN-565EX is for my Nikon and not for the Sony.
I guess the YN-565EX will have to be in S2 mode...correct?

Any assistance will be helpful.

Yep. I tested my flashes except Minolta 3600 last night and found out that Godox TT520 and Younnuo YN-460 will work with Nex 7 internal flash in S2 mode. Wansen 560s didn't work. As TT520 has got external power connector that will be my normal off camera flash. That way I don't need to worry about radio triggers not working.

Latest threads

Top Bottom