1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

External flash for 5n??

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by teefin1, Dec 8, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Am I correct in assuming an external flash isn't available for use with the 5n as it has no hot shoe, proprietary or otherwise?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Do a search for MSA-10 NEX on evilbay. With that mounted you can use an external flash or a trigger for off-camera flash.

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    There is a proprietary flash unit that fits on the 5N. The Sony HVL-F20S

[​IMG]

4. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Cheers for that Bimjo! I've been hoping someone would come up with that. I was thinking of fitting a trigger on top to fire studio umbrellas. Have you tried one yet? I was wondering if it would have TTL metering flash sync issues?

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I haven't tried one, but they got pretty heavy play in the NEX forum at DPR a couple of months ago with no real complaints. There was an earlier version (different company) that cost 3 times as much and didn't work as well. You might do a search there to see if anyone commented on TTL.

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I've been looking on the web about how to connect a wireless flash on my the nex 7, (nex5R too), until I found this Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: Sony NEX-7 Wireless Flash In Action and so looks works great.

Although it would be nice to have an idea of doing it cheaper, I mean not so professional or other good way but not too expensive.

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Thanks for that link Freddytto! Excellent to see the pros using the NEX7 (and even the 5N I think?) seeing as they could've chosen any camera available.

It was a joy to watch those models work. Their situational awareness and experience is sublime! Their facial expressions and body movements look easy and natural but I know it takes years and a lot of natural talent to pull off moves like that. Most of the models I've had the pleasure of photographing in the past are "friends and family" with little or no experience. It takes a lot of coaxing to get them to move or pose THAT deliberately but still maintain such a natural 'un-forced' look.

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I agree, they were working with nex7 and 18-200mm, wow really they do a good job, and for the video used the nex5n, (looks like), so since got the nex7,first started as a hobby,now I love a lot.

I had to shoot some events, for usually family and friends, like you, but I had some christenings and like 2 graduations school, so they have been very happy with the pictures, and it makes me feel very good, but I would like to learn more, have no experience, now my best friend going to make a party for his girlfriend, (in Friday's ) so where flash is important for have a very good photos, I'm thinking to take the nex5r and the 50 f1.4, because is in low light. This would have to go very well, considering some flash bit cheaper,if not I will have to order the Sony HVL-F20S.

9. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I am currently using the MSA-10 and a Cowboy Studio wireless trigger to fire a Yongnuo YN-560 II, works fine. I was toying with some smoke photos using this setup, worked perfect for my needs.

I got the adapter through amazon from some vendor in Florida for $25.