1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Extension Tube Set for Macro Photography

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jinju32, Jun 8, 2013.

1. jinju32

jinju32 New to TalkEmount

Jun 8, 2013
    There's an extension tube made by KENKO, which consist of 10mm tube and 16mm tube and comes with electronic control that allows you to use AF as well as adjust your aperture.

It costs about $180 on amazon.

But If you're in Korea, or can buy and get things in Korea, there's an alternative that is much cheaper and is capable of everything that Kenko's tube set do.

It's Horusbennu's AF Digital Extension Tube Set for NEX, DG-NEE1. You can see the pictures blow.

호루스벤누 AF ì ‘ì‚¬ë§ ë””ì§€í„¸ ìµìŠ¤í…션튜브세트 DG-NEE1 (소니NEX/E마운트/2세트)ìƒì„¸ë³´ê¸°

It's sort of reliable and works pretty good, especially with some primes like SEL50F18 and SEL35F18 in my case.

It works same as the Kenko, and the only difference between those two is that Horsubennu's tube is partly made of plastic(for body) and metal(mount)

while Kenko's tube is full-metal.

Some sample pictures taken using the tube are available below:

500px / Photo "An Ant on a Yellow Flower" by JINJU32

500px / Photo "Angela" by JINJU32

500px / Photo "Butterfly" by JINJU32

2. Cody

Cody New to TalkEmount

Jun 6, 2013
    Love the butterfly one. Those Kenko tubes did look overpriced for me. I bought my NEX a week ago to do macro so went with a Raynox instead and the Sony Macro lens too as my first ever prime.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There are any number of these available from multiple vendors (with multiple product names) on ebay for much less than the Kenko version. You pays your money and you takes your chances. ;)

I was initially meh! about these, but further reflection has brought me to the point of thinking it may be a good idea- one set of extension tubes in e mount that could be used in combination with any lens adapter as well as e mount lenses. I may have to pick up a set of these to try them out. Certainly cheaper than a dedicated macro lens since I seldom shoot macro. :)

4. rtex42

rtex42 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    Forgot to say, this was with the 55-210 (@210) with the 10mm extension tube.
    Rick

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, that works. :) Are the mount flanges on these metal, or plastic?

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    it is a crop?

7. rtex42

rtex42 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    Flanges are metal.
    About 25% crop (that is lost 75% of frame) if I recall correctly.
    Rick

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ok, I bit the bullet and picked up a set of 2 Fotga tubes 10/16mm. My rationale is as before- useable with any lens I can slap on a NEX. Just got them and was playing around with the Contax 85/1.4 (since that's what was on the camera at the time). I was curious what kind of working distance (subject to front of lens) I could get with the tubes.

So I taped a card to the wall and got a tape measure out. I then used the incredibly scientific method of placing the hook of the tape measure against the wall, putting the lens at it's closest focus point and infinity, placing the camera on top of the tape and moving the camera back and forth until the card was in focus. Ball park stuff to be sure, but useable info nonetheless.

So here's what I got for distances. Oh yeah, I have a lens hood that adds about an inch and a half to the length of the lens and measured from the front of that.

Lens only closest focus point= 32 in
    10mm tube @ closest focus= 15 in @ infinity= 27 in
    16mm tube @ closest focus= 11.5 in @ infinity= 17.5 in
    26mm of tube @ closest focus= 8 in @ infinity= 11 in

I got these more to reduce min focus distances on legacy lenses than for actual macro work. I do have a helicoid for my CV lenses, but it is limited in how much it can reduce the min focus distance. Now I can get much closer with the rangefinder lenses and actually do macro with the shorter focal length ones or my Sony lenses if desired.

These distances will be different with other focal lengths, but it gives you an idea of what kind of min focus distances are possible using these tubes.

And no, I didn't take any pics yet. ;)

9. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I don't remember how extension tudes work. Would the pair (26mm extension) with the CZ24 result in about a 1:1 macro?

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It'll be pretty close to 1:1, not enough difference to quibble about. My only worry would be the working distance might be really short. It should be plenty sharp though. :)

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    So I put the M-Rokkor 90 on both tubes and shot these. The lighting is a Mini Maglite shining on a piece of foamboard for the background. Exposure is 13 seconds @ f/8. The foamboard was between the room lights and the camera, so ambient light on the subject was pretty low. Mag ratio is somewhere between 1:2 and 1:3, working distance to front of lens is about 15 inches.

floater130823_01.

floater130823_02.

floater130823_03.

Attached Files:

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^Excellent shots there Jim - very artistic :thumbup:

13. jinju32

Jun 8, 2013
    With CZ24, you can only use 10mm or 16mm separately cause the focal length is short for using them both.
    In my calculation, you would get up to 0.91x ratio with 16mm but I reckon you would need to get so close.. like 1~2cm.

14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks Nick.

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That's kind of what I figured. :)

16. jinju32

Jun 8, 2013

Oh I see :) I'm reading this thread with my phone, I missed your post.

I wanna also mention that when using extension tube with CZ24mm, spherical aberration might be of an issue unless one steps down a bit like F/4.0.
    I've noticed with SEL35F18 and SEL50F18 that at an wide aperture like f/2.8 or f/3.5, the aberration was quite strong.
    Heard that CZ24mm is the same in a sense.

17. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I really like these Jim.

18. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks Colin.