1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Exposure compensation

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Deadbear77, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    What is the point of this? Isn't the shutter speed the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No. Exposure compensation changes either shutter speed or aperture or both depending on which mode you use, and it will always correct the exposure to the value you set it, i.e. if you go from indoors to outdoors, the exposure indoors was, let's say, +0,7 stops above the correct metering value, and it will be outdoors +0,7 stops above the metering value, although the shutter speed (in aperture priority mode) will be much faster outdoors.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    No. Camera measures the "correct" exposure value and adjusts speed/aperture accordingly. You may want darker/lighter images and adjusting exposure compensation achieves that.

Hugely nice thing to have. For some reason some manual lenses/situations tend to produce constantly same way misexposed images and adjusting exposure correction makes better images.

More readind about exposure value here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

Exposure compensation works from measured ev.

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    To be fair, if you are shooting full manual it really is the same thing as adjusting the shutter speed.

Exposure comp is only used in partially automated modes, where the camera is figuring out the shutter speed (or aperture in S mode) and ISO for you.

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Ok thanks, yes I always shoot in full manual so I couldn't figure out how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's why in full manual mode, exposure compensation is not available in most cameras (except the ones that have a dedicated dial for it, of course).

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    In manual mode the exposure compensation is manual too. In Nexes the camera shows how much you are over or under exposing and see the histogram too.

8. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    Exposure compensation is a way of telling the light meter to adjust the exposure up or down. Light meters are mostly very dumb, they read the light and then set the camera's exposure to reproduce the metered area as an 18% gray. If you are metering a snowbank or a pile of coal, the meter will still try to set the exposure to make that subject 18% gray in the final image. By using the exposure compensation setting, you tell the camera that the light meter is going to be wrong and to adjust accordingly.

9. photoluminaire

photoluminaire TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Exposure compensation only makes sense in M mode if you use auto ISO. You set aperture and shutter speed and the exposure compensation biases the ISO higher or lower than the camera would normally choose.
    Without exposure compensation auto ISO is of limited use.

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's just that NEX cameras don't support Auto ISO in M-mode.

11. photoluminaire

Oct 7, 2013
    Don't we now have a A7 with a dedicated exposure compensation dial?
    If that doesn't work in M mode to bias auto ISO it'll be very poor indeed.

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, but the a7 is NOT a NEX camera.

13. photoluminaire

Oct 7, 2013
    The OP never mentioned any camera at all and I assume his question was prompted by the appearance on the A7 and A7r of a prominent dedicated EV compensation dial.
    There are plenty of other A7 threads on the forum and even a suggestion of a name change of the forum to better accommodate the full frame e mount cameras.

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    NEX cameras ae the cameras we all use now, so I guessed the question was meant for NEX cameras. Also, I talked specifically about NEX cameras in the post where I said they don't support Auto ISO in M mode.

15. photoluminaire

Oct 7, 2013
    With a manual aperture lens you can (at least my NEX 5R) have a manually set aperture, a manually set shutter speed AND have auto ISO with working exposure compensation.

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yes, but in shutter priority mode, not in manual mode.

17. photoluminaire

Oct 7, 2013
    Doesn't make it any less functional if the OP wants to try it.

18. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    True, as long as you use lenses without electronically coupled aperture blades.