Exposure Compensation with Manual Exposure and Auto ISO

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I have been using the combination of Manual Exposure and Auto ISO for much of my shooting lately. Especially shooting fast moving subjects in changing light conditions when I want to nail a shutter speed and f/stop. This was true in the case of shooting Duke playing with his ball. I wanted a shutter speed of 1/1,000 second to stop his fast movement and an aperture of f/5.6 which would give me a tad deeper DOF than the wide open f/4 of my 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens. The A6400 camera did a great job in determining the exposure and the ISO capability of the camera gave me reasonably clean images at ISO 4,000.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have not needed to dial in any EC because the images were exposed right on. But, since I could (and often did) combine Manual Exposure with Auto ISO and Exposure Compensation on my Canon 7D2, I was somewhat surprised that neither my A6400 not A7iii have this capability. No problem because I didn't need it at anyway...

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
If I understand it correctly, Exposure Compensation is essentially a juggling of shutter speed, aperture and ISO, the triad....if the body is set to AUTO/Program.
Aperture Priority, locks that and leaves the remaining two. As does Shutter Priority. Manual Mode leaves ISO as the only variable. And you had it in Auto ISO.
If you go full manual ISO, the Sony body will flash a message that Exposure Compensation is unavailable due to fixed ISO whenever you attempt to adjust the EV+/- dial.
I don't know of what other Canon special sauce consists of "Exposure Compensation" as a fourth variable. You or others may need to define this option.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have not needed to dial in any EC because the images were exposed right on. But, since I could (and often did) combine Manual Exposure with Auto ISO and Exposure Compensation on my Canon 7D2, I was somewhat surprised that neither my A6400 not A7iii have this capability. No problem because I didn't need it at anyway...
Not sure I read this right. M mode, Auto ISO, and you say you can't use EV compensation on your Sony cameras? I'm pretty sure that I've been able to do that on every Sony mirrorless I have owned - Nex-5n, A6000, A7Riii, A9.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
EC just does what it says - adjust the exposure as if there were that much more/less light. Which of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO is adjusted depends greatly on how you have it set up.

I just tried EC now on my A7ii with a Voigtlander 40/1.2 (fully manual lens). It definitely worked in all PASM modes with ISO set to Auto. So I would think a fully electronically-controlled lens would work at least as well. I don't know, but perhaps there is some other setting preventing it's use.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
When I was shooting quilts the other day, I turned the knob to see what it would do, +1/-1 and 0. All the shots looked the same.
Maybe I need to fool around some more with it.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Here are normal, +1, +2, and +3 samples shot with my A9. I double checked the A6000 and A7Riii, and they definitely do the same.
ISO values are 500, 1250, 2500, and 5000 - So there was a little more that a full stop between shot one and two, but it probably needed a little more than 500, and not enough for 640.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I just looked at my shots and nothing changed when I dialed in +1 or -1.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
AlwaysOnAuto, what mode were you in? What was your ISO setting?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I just looked at my camera, but I think I'd changed modes since shooting the quilts. It's on AF-C and auto ISO right now.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom