1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Exposure compensation NEX 5 (and others..)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Mattithjah, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Hi folks!

I have one question:

Do you use any degree of exposure compensation (+-), when you shoot with legacy lenses?
    Which type of exposure mettering (mettering mode) do you use?
    Do you use exposure compensation when use SONY bran lenses?
    What is your type of NEX you compensate?

OK, there are five question :)

So, my NEX5 have to be compensate +1,7EV with legacies, +0,7EV with SEL16 and I use "multi" mettering mode. I use live histogram to evaluate the right exposure.

With my NIKON DSLR I use his 3D color MATRIX mettering, it is absolutely accurate for me... But with NEX, this HUGE compensation is necessary... Why???

2. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    That's interesting, because I find my Nikon D200 always needs -0.7 compensation as a baseline. With my 5n, it's fairly accurate in matrix mode and I find I use compensation primarily based on the scene or to alter my results in some way. I haven't found it any different with legacy vs. native lenses, though I use legacy lenses almost exclusively.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I assume that you're shoot jpegs? Because most exposure issues can be easily fixed in post for RAW files. NEX files are very forgiving, unless you've badly clipped highlights or shadows.

On those occasions where I need to use exposure compensation it makes no difference which lens I have on the camera, if I need it I use it.

Have you tried using center-weighted metering mode instead of matrix? It can make a huge difference. What metering mode you use, the focal length of the lens and the aperture used all have an impact on metering.

In the end, comparing two cameras with different sensors is not productive. My Mini Cooper is much faster than my pickup truck, but my truck will haul a much heavier load than the Mini- which one is right? ;)

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Because I hate to have to press the thumb wheel before I can turn to compensate exposure, when shooting legacy lenses I usually go with S mode. This way you have direct access to your exposure by altering shutter speed, and real time feedback on the LCD (I also turn the histogram on). I like center weighted as metering mode.
    Or shoot in Manual mode, then no matter what metering mode you chose since you make the exposure.

5. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I now always use M mode (never thought I'd be able to say that!) for the reasons Nianys just highlighted, with live view you can change exposure on the fly and instantly see it in preview.

6. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I use EC on my 5r quite a bit as I also use it alot on my dslr. It depends on your preferences. As stated above there are more than one way to adjust exposure. I do find most of the time I have it set to 0.3 to 0.7 on the nex, maybe even more often when using my Pentax lens. Depends on the scene, could also be a -Ec.

7. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    Regardless of lens I always shoot -1/3rd stop and cloudy white balance for outside shots, as I only use jpeg this suits me for colour saturation, it probably takes me around 20 minutes when I get a new camera to test the settings and find out what suits what I like, probably the most valuable 20 minutes I spend with the camera.it's amazing the amount of people who don't take this little time,to find out what settings suit their photography best

8. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    I just eyeball exposure, I don't know what you people are going on about :biggrin:

9. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Thank you for your opinions!

@ Bimjo: I allways shoot raw, with Nikon and with nex too.. I know, that raw files are very flexible and exposure compensation in PP usualy in no problem (+-1,5 EV, depend on used ISO), but sometimes, especially by indoor shooting, when you use high ISOs, accurate exposition is essential for me. Accurate exposition and generally exposition, as we call "on lights", reduces noise in images (when use isos 1600 and higher..)
    So inaccurate or under-exposed images are more noisy... and need more PP... and it is boring for me :)
    Yes, I have tried center.weighted, but it gives me unpredictable results. Not much "robust" results...
    Yes, each sensor is unique, but... FOR ONE SITUATION, THERE IS ONLY ONE CORRECT EXPOSURE (for me) and this exposure not depends on sensor, lens or so... It depends only on camera mettering! :) No matter if it is small compact or ff dslr, exposure have to be accurate!

10. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I have some habits from my DSLR Nikon, so it is problem... Usually I use A-mode with my Nikon. I say there is some aperture, ISO and 0,0 EC and you, my dear Nikon, decide which time is best. And result is good.
    When I shoot with flash, I use M-mode. I say there is some shutter speed, aperture, ISO and 0 EC, and my dear Nikon decides what flash intensity is the best... It works perfectly. There is almost no need of PP. All images have correct exposure.
    I have tryed S-mode... it is clumsy for me :)

NEX is (from my point of view) young boy (regarding to exposure mettering)...

11. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Stop showing off, lol ;)

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The exposure compensation doesn't work when in M mode right?

13. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I think so... It is essence of M mode. In M mode the role of photographer is to achieve +-0 EC on scale (or some specific +- EC if photographer need it..).

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    That's right Nick, in M mode you toggle between aperture control and speed control by pressing and turning the back wheel (major PITA IMO). The 7 is blessed with direct controls, so in M mode one top wheel will change aperture, and the other speed. But as I started before, if you shoot lecacy lenses, just use S mode so turning the wheel WITHOUT having to press first will alter exposure and give you instant feedback on the LCD. The lack of that real time reliable exposure feedback is what kept me from getting the Fuji X-E1 I wanted.

15. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Thanks for that S mode tip nianys. I've been an A mode guy almost exclusively with my dslr, never thought for the legacy lens to put in M mode. Tried it, works great.

Claude

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, I don't want to further ruin your day, but sometimes it can be a lens specific issue, not just a camera issue. I had a Tamron 17-50/2.8 for my K20 that required a +⅔ EV to match the results I got with either my Tamron 28-75/2.8 or my FA 50/1.4 at like focal lengths and apertures.

Sometimes things just are what they are and you deal with it or you replace gear. :)

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    You're welcome Claude I found that looking for a workaround the press and turn thingy on the 5N. Will work for all "non 7" NEX :)

18. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Hey, with the on screen exposure adjustments and instant reviewing of photos, you hardly need to use a meter anymore. This isn't film!

19. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yes, that's the reason I'm so hooked on NEX. Full time reliable exposure preview is just godsend.