1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Exposure Compensation Dial

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by AndyWear, Jan 1, 2014.

1. AndyWear

AndyWear TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi guys,
    I'm not that new to photography, but I'm not an experienced shooter either. I've been using T2i for years now and I recently upgraded to the Sony A7. This is the first time I've seen an exposure compensation dial. I'm not too sure what to do with it exactly. Is this a simple way to increase stops of light without having to change the ISO, Aperture, Shutter all the time? Or is there a completely different purpose for it? I used exposure compensation on my Canon T2i for HDR photography, but that is the extent of my knowlege. Sorry for the noob question. :)

Andy

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    The camera has got very limited knowledge about what you want out of image. It kind of expect that correct exposure is 18% grey in measurement points. So if you want image appear lighter you dial +, darker -.

Typical uses are when subject is way darker or lighter than 18% or there is bright/dark foreground or background.

It is pretty useful when shooting similar pictures in a row where you are not able to adjust for every picture manually. I think that most serious cameras have it but not necessarily as dial.

For some unknown reason some lenses tend to over- or underexpose constantly and using exposure compensation helps a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  3. AndyWear

Jan 1, 2014
    Are there loss of quality or information when using the exposure compensation dials over manually adjusting fstop,shutter,iso?

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    No, basically you are tellling it to set some of those A S or ISO a little higher than it would if it were doing the choosing because, you know, you're smarter than the camera :)

5. AndyWear

Jan 1, 2014
    Awesome, thank you guys for the clarification. :)

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Exactly, it does not work in M mode. In A mode, it changes shutter speed, in S mode it changes aperture and in P mode it changes ISO.

Also, it's often a good idea to expose to the right, i.e. dial in +0,3 or +0,7 stops of exposure - as long as your shutter speed is not too slow this way AND as long as the highlights are not blown out (you can easily see this with the histogram). Why expose to the right? You get more data in the darker areas this way, which means less noise and more room to play with in post processing.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AndyWear

Jan 1, 2014
    Thanks for the tip Poki. So if it doesn't work in M mode how come I was able to toggle around with it there? I'm not sure A mode, S mode, P mode, then what does it work in exactly? lol

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The only options that dial can change the exposure are the same options you have - by changing shutter speed, ISO or aperture. So basically, it will change whatever is automated. In P mode, it might as well change aperture or shutter speed, not only ISO (sorry, I was confused there). In M mode, it won't do anything, except if you shoot with Auto ISO.

9. AndyWear

Jan 1, 2014
    Oh ok, you're right. I had it on Auto ISO. I guess I gotta learn how to use this dial better. Its kind of confusing me.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Good info guys

11. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Exactly! I also highly recomend it to you. For me this works very well.

Matej (sent from phone)