1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Explanation of use of APSC lenses on FF and vice versa, please?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jazzer, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I have been seeing posts about people using lenses made for the Sony APS-C cameras on the A7/A7R and people talking about possibly using the FE glass on the APS-C sensor cameras. Would someone be kind enough to provide a simple explanation of how this works? For example, if using an APS-C lens on the A7, do you have to do anything to get it to work on the camera or do you just put it on and it works but with fewer megapixels? Similarly, how would the lenses for the A7 work on an APS-C? What happens to the relative focal length of the lenses in each case.

Sorry for what may be a dumb question. I would just like to get a better sense of it as I see people recommending APS-C lenses be used on full frame and FE lenses for the APS-C cameras and I don't completely understand the process.

Thanks.

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Glad it was helpful.

BTW - Using FE glass vs APS-C glas on APS-C camera has no effect. The reason people are buying the FE lenses is for their quality and flexibility should they move to full frame in the future.

There are are also some that say the pictures are crisper across the frame because the APS-C sensor is only registering the middle/sweet-spot of the lens. It sounds logical, though I haven't seen any proof of this.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The "APS-C sweet spot advantage" is there, but mainly for cheaper or older lenses. Modern APS-C lenses are corrected well enough to avoid that.

Also, the smaller the image circle, the higher the resolution a lens of the same quality level delivers (lp/mm). So in absolute terms, you will get better quality with a high-end APS-C lens on an APS-C sensor than with a high-end 35mm lens on an APS-C body. Vice versa, you'll get better quality with a low end 35mm lens than with a low end APS-C lens on an APS-C sensor.