1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Experiments with adapters and manual lenses :)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by izzikiorage, Jan 12, 2014.

1. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Did some fun photo stuff this weekend. Had purchased a Emount to MD (minolta format) lens adapter some time back which was delivered this week. Dad has an old minolta and my eye was on the Panagor 28mm f/2.8 prime that he has :). So I mounted that, had some fun operating a fully manual lens after all these years.

q9n6Mmc.

I was about to put this away when I though let's put the kit lens too. It turned out that we never got a kit lens, the other lens is a Sigma 30-70 mm (f/3.8) zoom plus there was a awesome macro converter too :))

UFjWFxt.

Still going through the results but will post them and some new shots over the next week :)

11907308874_d5882f22a0_c.
    Colors by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It is fun Manual Focusing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1

Plus, that an exceptional shot of yours :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Manual focus is definitely enjoyable, especially with todays mirrorless cameras. Its just so easy to use old MF glass. Thats what I use about 96% of the time on my NEX 7.

That Panagor should be a keeper. I dont remember all the history about that brand off the top of my head but I think it was one of the brand names used by Kiron who had a good reputation for quality glass. Something about some disgruntled Nikon engineers leaving the mother company and going off to start doing their own thing by starting the Kiron brand. Definitely shoot with it a lot and see what it can do.

The Sigma looks to be from the same design as an old 28mm Mini Wide prime that I used to have. Solid construction and very nice optical quality. Im not familiar with this particular zoom tho. Is it a constant f/3.8 aperture thru the whole zoom range? If so that would be a neat little lens to have. Both of these lenses would benefit from the Metabones Speedbooster for Minolta. It would turn your NEX into a full frame camera with no crop and make your lenses a whole stop faster. You can see some results from my speedbooster on my flickr page. http://www.flickr.com/photos/8539414@N07/sets/72157633126249795/

Overall a nice little kit you have there. Look forward to more photos.

• Like Like x 1
  5. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Manual focusing is fun, but only if you have a non moving subject. I still have difficulty getting a good focus on moving subjects. BTW how do you people handle manual focusing? I've currently set my cam as medium setting in focus peaking (red color) and have put the softkey near the bottom to give me a magnified view.

My normal method is to get a decent focus in full view, then hit the zoom key and fine tune the focus (somehow focus peaking seems to disappear or show up less when using the magnified view). It's a little tougher than using the focusing prism where you lined up the edges. Please advise on a better way

@f/otographer : Although I don't know a lot about lenses, from usage only, the Panagor is a great lens. Very sharp, a pretty cool DOF when set to f/2.8 and a very pleasing bokeh. The other is a 35-70mm zoom by Sigma with an aperture that varies from f/3.8 to round f/5. It's a little soft at fully open (but that could be me being incompetent at focusing) but is pretty sharp when you hit f/5.8 or so. The metabones is there on my list, but I guess my first purchase will be a 50mm prime (MD rokkor f/1.2 if I can get it)

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Panagor brand was owned by Jaca corporation and not kiron. There are rumors that they sold lenses made by other companies too.

I am pretty happy with my Panagor lenses and will purchase 21mm, 24mm, 28mm and 55mm macros if I can get them in reasonable price.

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I do the same thing except for me yellow is a better colour. The focus peaking still works in magnified view but it is reduced, so you might want to set it on 'high' to see it more clearly. Focus peaking works on contrast and is different with each lens.

I shoot a lot of street shots, so moving targets. Zone focusing and shooting hyperfocal along with good anticipation are your friends.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Hi Izzi,

I like playing around with manual glass, because the manual lenses have nice tactile feel to them.

I have my AEL button re-purposed for easy access to the AF, MF, and DMF modes. Like Colin, I found the yellow peaking color easier to see than the red, and I have the level set to medium (it was too much when set to high for me in the regular viewing mode, but can be not enough in the magnified view).

Cheers,
    Eric

9. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Huh, maybe thats what I am misremembering. Kiron just made some of the lenses for Panagor. That sounds right.

As for a good method on using focus peaking with MF lenses I came across this technique on some forum (I forget) that a gentleman there used. I havent really tried it, but it sounds intriguing.

-Set your camera to shoot in RAW+Jpeg
    -Set camera mode to Black & White
    -Set focus peaking to the lowest setting and yellow (or red)

This way you shoot and compose everything in black & white and the tiny amount of colored focus peaking will really show more accurately where the plane of focus is. This seems like it would give much more critical focus then trying to guess where it would be using full color and a larger smear of peaking. With a RAW file saved for every shot it doesnt matter that you are shooting in B&W, you will always have the original to go back and edit however you see fit.

I really need to give this a try.

• Like Like x 1
  10. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    I'd like to add that I do this with the Contrast and Sharpness parameters for B&W set to 3, then dial-in +1/3 stop exposure. I find that it helps in getting peaking feedback for very dark subjects and/or in low-light situations.

• Like Like x 1
  11. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    I didnt know that there was a black and white mode, or that you could set sharpness and contrast on a nex 6

Also there seems to be very little info about these lenses on the web. Just says that panagor was a brand that kirron and a few others made.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

12. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    The black and white mode is under the brightness/color tab in the menu -->creative style --> B/W.
    Once in a creative style, you can access brightness, saturation, and contrast through the "option" soft key.

HTH

13. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Found it ... Have been using this and had a very surprising observation. The Panagor 28mm prime is way way sharper than even my sony 1650 pancake, even when wide open at f/2.8. It's a holy pain to focus using it, it's a pain to carry that very heavy lens, but the results are so sharp and the bokeh is absolutely beautiful. Is something wrong with me, or have I been using the sony lens wrong all this time?