Experience with the new E mount PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by starmite, Dec 23, 2013.

1. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular

Dec 20, 2012
    Wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to use this lense yet? I'm thinking it might be an excellent choice for those days where you only want one lens on the camera.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Definately a very interesting (convinient) FL...

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  4. Nick

Nick TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    Dorset, England
    Nick
    I see that Digital Rev now have it at 429 GBP and against 499 at Wex Photo. However the 18-200 is only 499GBP at Digital Rev.
    So what to buy for my New York holiday next year?
    can anyone in the New York area suggest a good local shop to check for prices as I could always buy when I'm there?
    Thanks one and all

Nick

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    B&H Photo
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=1848&KBID=2491

Adorama
    http://www.adorama.com/?kbid=65781

• Like Like x 1
  6. ascariss

ascariss TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 17, 2013
    I had a hard time finding this lens here in Poland, most retailers don't carry it and would need to order it directly for me, but the prices were ridiculous. It is priced at 2799pln at sony.pl (930 USD or 670 euros), which is a bit too much for me, considering this lens was not supposed to be this expensive.

Luckily a friend was going back to Canada for Christmas and I asked her to buy it for me if she can find it, which she did :) I should have the lens either on the 1st of 2nd of january :D and will post more details and first impressions this upcoming weekend :)

7. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi ascariss, I'll be looking forward to your impressions. I'm also considering this lens but there's so little detail about its performance. All I could find are comments about its horrible distortion, which is quite hard for me to swallow considering its 'G' moniker.

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Last Saturday I got to try out this lens on my NEX-6. You can find the zipped raw files here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. imperialv

imperialv New to TalkEmount

Nov 10, 2013
    I bought one in hk... Better upgrade with my kitlens (nex-6)... Lighter and best of all its cheaper than the 18-200 ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1388671547.658950.

• Like Like x 3
  10. starmite

Dec 20, 2012
    Santa brought me this lens for Christmas and it already has exceeded my expectations. Fast focusing, ultra-quiet zoom function and excellent results on my N7.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cosmic

cosmic TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Split, Croatia
    Duka
    Pics, pics, pics... :D

©

12. Tabibito

Apr 1, 2013
    That thing looks sexy!:D

13. Tabibito

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi Ad, could you post some of them here? 800MB is quite a big file for my connection here :biggrin:

14. ascariss

Feb 17, 2013
    l1. l2. l3. l4.

hello, back again, I picked up the lens today, the box was small, but the lens is not hehe, it dwarfes my NEX-5N as you guys can see, and I do believe it weighs more than the camera itself. :O It feels more like the camera is attached to the lens than the other way around

The build quality is fantastic, solid piece of lens, I like the fact you have the 2 ways of zooming in, the button on the side and the ring. It is not light and is front heavy now, but otherwise comfortable to hold with both hands. One handed use it still possible but not sure for how long.

Focus speed is actually very good in bright light, not so fast and accurate in poorly lit areas, but overall I feel the focus is good enough since this is not meant to be a fast lens.

Bokeh is actually quite nice from initial shots, but they were shots of a juice cartoon so not the best to post here :p

Will try to post up some real shots by tomorrow if anyone wants me to.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Would like to see the real world pictures as well as to read more about your impressions like AF speed in low light, focus accuracy bokeh and sharpness. Looks like you are the first owner of this lens here.

16. ascariss

Feb 17, 2013
    I will do my best with more information this weekend.

I am not the first, starmite, imperialy and addieleman also own it, so I am 4th in line :)

17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Unfortunately you're wrong, I don't have it :(. I only got to take some test shots during a Sony demo day. So you're up 1 place, 3rd in line :).

18. starmite

Dec 20, 2012
    I did some poking around on Adobe's website today and discovered they have already released lens profiles for the PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS for "raw" shooters. Two versions are available - Lightroom 5, v5.3 and for Photoshop 6 users, ACR v8.3.

The other interesting thing I noticed was that these software versions also have lens profiles for the SEL35F18, the SEL55210, and the SEL1855 lenses (some of the profiles have already been available for awhile in earlier version of LR and PS). Definitely time to start concentrating more on working in raw. More stuff to learn . . . .

19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Sure, I've uploaded them as JPEG files here. The uploading was started a few seconds ago, it'll take half an hour or so before all 55 pictures will appear.

• Like Like x 2
  20. cosmic

cosmic TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Split, Croatia
    Duka
    Those are really BIG. Kind of like the look of it though.

©