1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EXIF data

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by rtex42, Jun 30, 2013.

1. rtex42

rtex42 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    I had a member suggest that I include EXIF data if I am seeking feedback.
    All of my images have EXIF data when viewed on my computer but when uploaded to talknex the data is no longer there.
    I looked at the first 10-12 images in the nature forum just now and found most had no EXIF data and those that had data only had image size or JPEG comments.
    Is there a way to insure that EXIF data is included with images uploaded to talknex?
    Rick

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I believe that it depends on what image program you use and how you save the files. I used to use the "Save for Web" option in Photoshop, which strips exif data from the file. Now I use the "Save As" option, which leaves the exif data intact.

3. rtex42

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    I use LR4, export as JPEG. Data is there after export to my computer but does not make the trip up to sites like talknex.
    Rick

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Don't know what to tell you. Maybe someone with LR experience (I never got the interface concept after using PS for so long) will show up wiht an answer.

5. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Is there a way to view EXIF data assuming images have them when uploaded? I know there are programs that will do this, but I was wondering if there is some way to view it using a tool in the forum.

6. rtex42

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    Jazzer,
    I don't know of a tool to view EXIF in the forum. I use free software called EXIF Viewer that allows you to right click on an image and see the data.
    Rick

7. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    Easiest/Quickest way to view EXIF data of a photo in thread

BUMP - Maybe this is common knowledge, but when I went searching for it, I didn't find much in the way of specifics, so I thought I'd post my findings (at least for the Windows world).

My question: What's the easiest way to view the EXIF data of a photo in a thread ?

I am embarrassed to admit this, but I used to save the pic locally just so I could right click the filename and view the properties (windows) ... I didn't know any other way. Kind of cumbersome and wasteful considering I only want to peek at the exposure values.

A lean & unobtrusive extension to Firefox lets you right click and see the info of any pic displayed in the browser (assuming it has info of course) called FxIF here:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fxif/

A similar Add On for chrome shows the info when you hover, but I don't have personal experience with it:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/exif-reader/nchnjcdahncnilbicljpnbfobpnljnki?hl=en

I'm sure there's something for IE & also the Apple world, but I don't go there (and btw, I certainly don't mean to lump IE & Apple in the same category ... my reasons for not going there are completely different:biggrin:).

How do you view the EXIF data if that's the only thing you want to do ? If you know of something even simpler, please share.

8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't know if this is out of the question for you, but you could just create a Flickr (or Smugmug or whatever) account and publish photos directly from the Lightroom plug-in. Photos will retain EXIF data by default. Once they are in Flickr you can link to those photos in threads. If someone wants to see EXIF, they can click on the phot an go into Flickr. I find this is the best way to post to these forums. This way you don't use up forum space and servers. Also, it allows you to post to multiple forums using the same link.

9. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I understand your point about posting, but I'm coming at this from the point of the viewer reading a thread ... I see a photo in a thread and am curious about the exposure (or whatever).

BTW,. I started the search for a simple solution when looking at your great shot of the city bikes and got curious about the lens & settings!

• Like Like x 1
  10. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    oops, I meant citibikes. Have to give the sponsors their due.

11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Sorry If my post wasn't clear, but I was thinking of both. If the viewer is really interested in the EXIF, he or she can click on the picture which brings you to Flickr. From there you can view EXIF.

lol.

BTW,. I started the search for a simple solution when looking at your great shot of the city bikes and got curious about the lens & settings!

Thanks for the curiosity. Lens SEL50F18, ISO100,1/640 F/2/8. BTW - I am new to this, so to get DOF right for this shot, I made like Goldilocks. I tried a few aperture settings until it was just right. ;)

12. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I was trying to point out a really quick and simple way to see EXIF without leaving the thread, opening new windows/tabs/sites, etc.

Thanks for the info ... now that I've installed the extension/add-on, I can see this data while viewing the photo in the thread with just 2 clicks, or if using chrome, just by hovering over the photo ... doesn't get too much simpler than that !

• Like Like x 1