Excellent Canon FDn Repair Experience...contact info & referral about a retired Canon Repair Tech

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roundball, Aug 7, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Not sure where to post this so I started with this "Adapted Lenses" thread...assuming moderators can relocate it if need be.
    FYI...if you have any legacy Canon FDn lenses in need of repair, this individual listed below is a retired Canon Repair Technician.
    Steven F. Sweringen
    1220 E Greg St. Suite 15
    Sparks, NV. 89431-6530
    Phone: 775-829-2244
    Toll Free: 1-877-511-4811

The "like new" 200mm Macro lens I recently bought now really is like new.
    He replaced a couple of worn rubber collars that were allowing the 'wink' in the barrel.
    Checked it all out and sent it back.
    I ran both macro & tele tests yesterday afternoon and now everything about it is outstanding.
    Have now sent him another Email to see what he thinks about a minor irritant I have on another lens...if it won't break the bank I'll have him fix it too.

As an aside, from one photo hobbyist to others, a word of caution dealing with "Team-Foto" on EBay.
    What I haven't mentioned so far about my recent EBay purchase of the very hard to find Canon FDn 200mm/4.0 Macro Lens in it's own "Adapted Lenses" thread is that the EBay seller 'Team-Foto' misrepresented it's condition to me...responding to several specific questions I asked in an email, that everything was like new / worked perfectly. Actually that was not the case at all...I immediately realized that the barrel & focusing collar were obviously loose as soon as I picked it up and handled it. I wanted to keep the lens of course, yet Team-Foto wouldn't work with me at all on any of the repair costs, only offering for me to return it to Germany minus shipping & insurance costs....which would be $40 wasted and still no lens.

I suspect they may have been scammed by people who claim there's a lens problem, then after getting some financial restitution from the seller, the buyer simply pockets the money instead...that sort of thing probably happens a lot more than we know.

At any rate, since the whole point of my buying this particular like new, hard to find lens was to have the lens...and given the IQ I'd already seen, and everything else being so like new...I decided to grit my teeth and pay to have it repaired myself. Sent it to Steve and the repair experience and results were both outstanding...so the lens cost me $160 more than it should have but it now truly is like new and as far as I'm concerned, I made the right decision.

But a word to the wise...take anything EBay's Team-Foto tells you with large grains of salt...don't know if it was an issue of a level of competence or an issue of forth-rightness, but I know I'll never buy from them again.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Based on a question I received, to clarify I spent a total of $160 for the repair...but that amount included insured shipping both ways...was not just the repair charge itself.