Examples of Photos with a teleconverter addon

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Archer, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I've just bought a Sony NEX 5N - it came with a 16mm Pancake lens and the standard 18mm to 55mm Zoom Lens

I've seen on eBay & Amazon there might be teleconverters that fit the standard 18mm to 55mm lens

If so does anyone have experience using one and some example photos of a photo taken at 55mm and the same photo using a teleconverter?
    I'd especially be interested in seeing example portraits of people using such a device.

If so please do post.

One of the reasons I'm interested in a teleconverter is to get closer but without having to change lens, especially if the area I am in is dusty and I don't want to open up the sensor to dust.

Ideally what I'm looking to do is take candid photos of friends & family, so being able to stand back at weddings, outdoor picnics, etc would be nice.
    I'm planning to take my camera in the future to places like Africa / India where they have very fine dust in the air.
    So for now just looking at the idea of a teleconverter to get me into the focal range I like for taking candid shots.

Also will the autofocus still work with a teleconverter or will it cause problems?

2. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
  3. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England

I looked at the thread you linked to - it's not the same question at all.

That's talking about zoom lenses and there's not one single sample photo been submitted by anyone.

My question was about Teleconverters NOT zoom lenses

I even gave the reason why I was interested in teleconverters rather then zoom lenses - hopefully I was making it clear that I'm interested in the kind that clip on the FRONT of an existing lens so there is no need to remove the existing lens and expose the sensor to dust.

Something that looks a bit like this

Google Image Result for http---i.ebayimg.com-00-s-ODIyWDEwMDg%3D-%24(KGrHqFHJEQE--ClBKpiBP)%2Bbd.

4. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    The thread I linked to, did talk about why it's not a good idea using Teleconverter with the kit lens.

It's widely known that using the filter add-on for teleconverter purpose does not work. That's the reason people don't even bother testing and posting sample pictures. You'd do better just crop the picture in post-processing. Unlike screw-on close-up filter, that some can still maintain relatively high IQ, don't bother with screw-on TC, a waste of money.

When talking about teleconverter, people imply it's the type that between lens and body. Because with high quality TC and high quality fast lens, certain combination still works great. But the kit zoom is not a good candidate.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I think you'd be better served to pick up a longer lens, one of the 18-200s or the new 18-105 rather than use a front-of-lens teleconverter. There are some folks using one successfully with the 55-210, but I've heard of no one doing so with the 18-55.

6. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Yes Justin at DPR takes some amazing bird shots with that set up, tele converter on the 55-210. Not sure its a good option with the wider angle lenses though. It might even vignette with wider angles.

Danny.