1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF arrived

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dixeyk, Oct 11, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    My NEX EVF arrived and I am both pleased and majorly surprised. It is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The VF2 I had on my E-P3 was huge by comparison. The eye sensor is a nice touch as well. I wish the diopter weren't quite so small and finicky, but on balance it is a terrific addition to the 5n.

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Oh Gosh, now you're gonna be able to focus those manual beauties even more accurately !! EVF was a major selling point on the 6 for me. As much as I like to be able to shoot from the LCD, it's really the best of both worlds to have both options. Pictures of the combo ?

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    The 50/1.8 + silver 5N + EVF is one of Sony's bestlooking camera combos on the planet :D

DSC_0177.

DSC_0179.

4. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Sure, as soon as I get home

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Congrats on the acquisition! :cool:

6. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    The evf would be one of the main reasons for me to upgrade my Nex 5 to the 5n. As a fellow glasses wearer (going by your avatar) how are you finding it? Also, what's it like in low light? I have never really used an evf before (just an ovf) although when I looked at an A57 in a camera shop I got a very brief chance to look through an evf but not long enough to make any definate judgements. But I think the A57 evf is similar to the Nex 7 which is similar (if not the same) as your add on evf.

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    In bright sunlight the EVF is a lot less useful than it would be if I didn't have glasses but still useable. I wish there was an option of a bigger eyecup. It works pretty well in low light. There is o "sunny weather" option for the EVF like there is for the LCD but you an set it to manual to boost brightness. I think it's well worth it and the ability to lock it down and tilt it up make it just a little bit nicer.

8. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    How does the EVF feel in terms of ruggedness?

My issue is that the EVF looks really fragile with the mass sticking out a bit from the camera on a skinny neck, not low and compact like the OLF VF3. Also, both Oly VFs slide into a standard hotshoe, so they were quite easy to take on and off. If this one's as finicky as the NEX flash, I don't think I'll want to be doing that.

I've been back and forth on whether to try one out (and maybe also the SLT adapter with a long telephoto). What are your thoughts on the ruggedness of the EVF for in-and-out of jacket use?

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Well it attaches with a thumbscrew so it takes some work taking it on and off but it feels very secure. Much more so than either the LVF1 or VF2 ever did. The biggest thing that struck me is how small it is in person. I had the same concerns before i bought it. It looks like it is huge and ungainly on the camera in pictures, but in person it really is very compact. I'll see if I can get a good shot that shows that off. I can't speak to taking it in and out of a jacket but I pop it in and out of my bag a lot and have no problem.

10. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I'm getting concerned reading a lot of folks saying peaking behaves differently in the EVF vs the LCD ? Like they get way LESS focus confirmation in the EVF ? What r your thoughts on this ??

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The EVF does show less peaking than the LCD does, especially with magnification turned on. But it hasn't been a problem for me. Sometimes the LCD gets overwhelmed with peaking lines and is nearly unusable. Sometimes the EVF shows little/no peaking. It hasn't bothered me since I do most of my manual focus stuff off a tripod, or I zone focus anyway and the peaking really doesn't come into play.

I haven't tried it, but bumping the peaking level to the max setting would probably help the EVF, though it would make the LCD very hard to use in some cases.

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I noticed the same thing. I use peaking to focus and just like when I was using the LCD it took a little getting used to it but I am not having any issues nailing focus. The toughest part for me was adjusting the diopter. Since I have only MF lenses and a blurry patch in my right eye it took a bit of work to dial it in. Also, I find the diopter slider a pain to use. I bumped up the brightness in the EVF using the manual setting and it works great. I also feel like the color on the EVF is a bit truer than the LCD which always strikes me as a tad too vivid.

13. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Once you've bumped the brightness, is it still reliable to judge proper exposure ? Due to the annoying click+turn wheel exp compensation process, I now shoot manual at all times.

14. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think so, it's not a huge bump in brightness like the "sunny weather" setting.

15. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I have the EVF as well, but haven't used it in a while. I don't recall the peaking issue, but I did find it much easier to use the EVF with the MF Assist zoom. I could easily see what was in focus using the EVF because the entire screen was close to my eye. As opposed to the "stinky diaper" camera hold when using the LCD, and I'm too far away to see it properly for focusing.

16. JTM_CR

JTM_CR TalkEmount Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    can any one tell me if i can use it in the F3(K) it has the port accessory type 2, i wanto to buy this many days ago.

17. applemint

Sep 20, 2012
  18. applemint

Sep 20, 2012
    Thanks, is the eyecup removable? Perhaps there is a third party option which might work - or one designed for another camera which could be made to fit. Bit of a long shot - but maybe? I think with the Oly vf2 some people said the bigger eyecup option made it better with glasses and some people said it made it worse!

Yes, I like the idea of an evf which is removable when not needed and also I guess the ability to tilt up could be useful for some photos in the way a tilting lcd screen can be? Or is more a case of the tilting aspect being useful for when storing the camera in a camera bag etc?

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Somebody, on some board suggested using a flexible telescope eyepiece stretched over the EVF. Said it worked fine. I shoot my EVF with my glasses off, so it hasn't been an issue for me. It was something like these, stretch fit over the EVF. Might work for you, might not. [shrug]

20. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The tilt ability of the EVF just allows me to get shots that would be a lot less convenient with the LCD because of body positioning. I just like having options.