1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EVF and Vivitar 90 Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pworden, Nov 9, 2013.

1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    This is my first legacy lens. I'm getting some nice shots but wonder if anyone can tell me if what I'll describe is normal or if there is a way I can improve it:
    When holding the shutter down halfway, or when pressing the lowest soft key for magnification on manual focusing, I'm seeing tons of noise and a very red/yellow-looking image. Fortunately, when I take the shot the result has good white balance, expected noise level (less), etc. For a moment after taking the shot on the preview, I can see the focus peaking and the white balance is good. Am I doing something wrong? (My bet is 95% that I am.) I have live view on. This is a 37-year-old all-manual macro lens so no electronics possible. I have tried it in manual, shutter priority and aperture priority with the same results. It would be great if I could see what I'm doing...!
    Last, when I go past 1:2 magnification, my shots get very hazy - like a whitish cloud over everything. I think this might be the length of the lens and it's interference with light but it looks like more than that. I've kept the subject lit quite well but still seeing the whitish haze at this magnification.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Will post a couple of shots next.

2. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, that is truly strange. My only quess would be a light leak, but that should be visible in all the pics, not just at high magnification. To check you could put some heavy tape around the joint between the lens and adapter and between the adapter and the camera to see it that helps.

If it is a light leak between the lens & adapter you could dedicate that adapter to that lens and use something (silicone sealer, etc.) to seal the leak. If you don't want to do that, or the leak is between the adapter and the camera you could try another adapter.

If it isn't a light leak I'm going have to [shrug] and admit defeat. :confused:

4. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I'll try that tomorrow, thanks.
    Any advice on the view while focusing? I'm betting there might be a setting I'm missing.

5. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Looking for advice on the first part of the lens problem, "When holding the shutter down halfway, or when pressing the lowest soft key for magnification on manual focusing, I'm seeing tons of noise and a very red/yellow-looking image. Fortunately, when I take the shot the result has good white balance, expected noise level (less), etc. For a moment after taking the shot on the preview, I can see the focus peaking and the white balance is good. Am I doing something wrong? (My bet is 95% that I am.) I have live view on. This is a 37-year-old all-manual macro lens so no electronics possible. I have tried it in manual, shutter priority and aperture priority with the same results. It would be great if I could see what I'm doing...!"
    Using a Nex 6 with my only adapted lens, a Vivitar 90mm Macro. Thanks for any pointers.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Got me stumped on that one, sorry. Doesn't any way sound normal, you may need to have the camera looked at. :frown:

7. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    This only happens with the adapted lens - all else is fine, so I hope it's not the camera!

8. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Did some tests just now and the noise on the preview is much more acceptable. I think the problem last night must have been the fit of the adapter and lens, at least that's all I can think of. And the whitish haze is apparently just the flash. I wasn't as scientific as I should have been when I saw it. Didn't think about the flash. I was only using it at the high zoom as it needed more light on the shot. The little built-in flash just make a weird result with the long extended lens. Well I learned something anyway!

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, that's good news. :)