1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF and glasses

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dixeyk, Sep 28, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Anyone have any experience with the EVF and glasses? Any issues?

2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Prescription sunglasses = BAD - Polarizing effect makes it difficult to see.

Regular glasses work fine, and the diopter adjustment helps immensely. Bigger trouble is light leak from the sides of your glasses getting in the way.

I have tried using the diopter and no glasses so I can put the eye-piece tight to my eye in bright sunlight. But my astigmatism is still there, so even though I can get it focused, it is still distorted.

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think i'll stick with the LCD for the time being. I have found it amazingly useful and since Summer is ending I think I can put of getting the EVF for a while yet. Besides I have my eye on a Super Tak 105/2.8 that will be a much better expenditure for me.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I have the EVF and it's usable with glasses but not very comfortable. I do find I use my left eye more if wearing glasses as the nose-touching is no issue and I'm left-eyed. My degree is very low so I just take my glasses off without any diopter adjustment when I need

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I went ahead an picked up one that a fellow on rangefinder forums had available (via a tip form a generous fellow board member here). He gave me a great price because Amazon has them on sale new for $90 off at $260 so I picked the lightly used one up for $200 shipped. It arrives in a few days.

Oh, and I got the Super Tak 105 as well...

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    FWIW I nudge my glasses out of the way with the rubber eye cup - usually works pretty smoothly - I barely think about it anymore. (I have the EVF diopter adjusted for my naked eye.)

Sometimes for extended EVF use I take the glasses off. Though if I am to use the rear LCD for any kind of critical focusing purpose, my prescription glasses are a very good idea. :cool:

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Good buy! I hope it works better for you than the fixed EVF on the 7, which i quite dislike, too small, uncomfortable,and wierd smearing. I read that it was the same as that on the A57, but I never found that one to be a problem at all.

8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    NEX-6 with eyecup is okay. Same issues with polarized sunglasses of course. I wish the EVF opening was rubber coated like on the old Nikon FE/FM style cameras, but it isn't, AND it is textured (bad) like the rest of the body. I'd love a snap-on rubber rectangle that wasn't as deep as the eyecup, but it is acceptable. More, I think the "clicks" on the diopter are too fine and easily nudged. I prefer hard notches over this more delicate adjustment. Probably allows better fine-tuning I guess.