1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF and battery life

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Oct 17, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have noticed that my 5n goes through batteries much more quickly than I did with the C3. Has anyone else noticed this? When I first got the 5n it didn't seem to be much different than the C3 in this regard but since adding the EVF I have noticed it. Of course I have the back LCD set to off and EVF works automatically with the eye sensor. I wonder if I am inadvertently turning it on while I hold it. I would think the use of the EVF would conserve battery. Odd.

2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I think the EVF uses more power than the built in LCD. They are both a display, so they certainly both need power. And because of the eye sensor, it's always drawing power, even when not in use.

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Good point.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, it can be a battery hog with the EVF. I've just gotten into the habit of turning the camera off when I'm not actually taking a shot.

The eye sensor will activate constantly if you have the camera on a strap around your neck. You either turn the function off, don't use a neck strap, or turn the camera off when not in use.

PITA, but there ya go. ;)

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I used to turn off my GH2 for the same reason. Don't know why I expected the 5n to be any different. Not that big a deal. I carry it with a wrist strap so turning it on and off isn't that big a deal. Thanks.