EVF and battery life

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Oct 17, 2012.

1. kevistopheles

kevistopheles TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I have noticed that my 5n goes through batteries much more quickly than I did with the C3. Has anyone else noticed this? When I first got the 5n it didn't seem to be much different than the C3 in this regard but since adding the EVF I have noticed it. Of course I have the back LCD set to off and EVF works automatically with the eye sensor. I wonder if I am inadvertently turning it on while I hold it. I would think the use of the EVF would conserve battery. Odd.

2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I think the EVF uses more power than the built in LCD. They are both a display, so they certainly both need power. And because of the eye sensor, it's always drawing power, even when not in use.

3. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    Good point.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, it can be a battery hog with the EVF. I've just gotten into the habit of turning the camera off when I'm not actually taking a shot.

The eye sensor will activate constantly if you have the camera on a strap around your neck. You either turn the function off, don't use a neck strap, or turn the camera off when not in use.

PITA, but there ya go. ;)

5. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I used to turn off my GH2 for the same reason. Don't know why I expected the 5n to be any different. Not that big a deal. I carry it with a wrist strap so turning it on and off isn't that big a deal. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.