• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

EVF and battery life

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I have noticed that my 5n goes through batteries much more quickly than I did with the C3. Has anyone else noticed this? When I first got the 5n it didn't seem to be much different than the C3 in this regard but since adding the EVF I have noticed it. Of course I have the back LCD set to off and EVF works automatically with the eye sensor. I wonder if I am inadvertently turning it on while I hold it. I would think the use of the EVF would conserve battery. Odd.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think the EVF uses more power than the built in LCD. They are both a display, so they certainly both need power. And because of the eye sensor, it's always drawing power, even when not in use.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I think the EVF uses more power than the built in LCD. They are both a display, so they certainly both need power. And because of the eye sensor, it's always drawing power, even when not in use.

Good point.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, it can be a battery hog with the EVF. I've just gotten into the habit of turning the camera off when I'm not actually taking a shot.

The eye sensor will activate constantly if you have the camera on a strap around your neck. You either turn the function off, don't use a neck strap, or turn the camera off when not in use.

PITA, but there ya go. ;)

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Yeah, it can be a battery hog with the EVF. I've just gotten into the habit of turning the camera off when I'm not actually taking a shot.

The eye sensor will activate constantly if you have the camera on a strap around your neck. You either turn the function off, don't use a neck strap, or turn the camera off when not in use.

PITA, but there ya go. ;)

I used to turn off my GH2 for the same reason. Don't know why I expected the 5n to be any different. Not that big a deal. I carry it with a wrist strap so turning it on and off isn't that big a deal. Thanks.

Latest threads

Top Bottom