Ever got to a shoot and found no SD card in your NEX?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by pauliemacnz, Mar 17, 2013.

1. pauliemacnz

pauliemacnz TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    It's dumb, but it's happened to me twice. Luckily I could buy one nearby. But I now have a more stupid-proof solution - I swing with two cards. Two high speed 8GB cards - one lives in the camera, one
    in the SD slot in my PC. Whenever I need to download more pics I just swap them, so there is always something in the camera. Simple and effective. Better living everyone!

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, I always have a couple SD cards and batteries in my camera bag, so I can't forget anything. Oh, and 'spare' lenses and soon a spare body, too, of course - you should be prepared for everything as a photographer.

3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I've never went anywhere to shoot and forgot a card, but I've picked up my camera many times to take a quick shot of something and there wasn't a card in the camera.

4. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    that is why I love the a700 and the 580, they have dual slots, an sd card and a sony memory stick, I always had the memory stick in each camera but used the sd card / compact flash card all the time the times that memory stick has saved me, it should be mandatory

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Yup. Ever since then I always check before leaving the house.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nah, I forget filters, step-up rings, the tripod, and ocassionally a lens. I've even walked off and left the whole camera bag at home, but I've never forgotten a memory card. ;)

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A good trick I found was to leave the memory card door open until the card is returned.

8. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I do the same thing.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Me three.

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'd do that, except that I'm afraid of accidentally snapping the flimsy plastic door off. :doh:

11. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Not yet.

But if a card comes out, and I don't put another card in immediately; then (like Davect01) I keep the camera open next to the computer so the card can go back once I've downloaded the images. (There are other cards in my bags anyway. Belt and braces.)

And, don't even ask about batteries...

12. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    me 2

13. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Never happened to me.
    I copy the images from the card and detach it from my PC immediately and return it in my camera.
    When something occured than it was an empty battery pack when just having the body and one lens in a small bag with me...

14. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    No but I once went out with a 1GB card instead of the normal 8GB. It meant that I only had space for around 60 shots. It made for an interesting approach to shooting discipline - a case of making every shot count rather than taking three or four 'to be sure'.

These days I never go out without a spare battery and spare cards in the bag or in a pocket if I'm not carrying a bag.

15. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    I have always, from the first digital camera I owned, copied the files from the memorycard to the computer or mobile HDD. Then I delete what is on the card and insert it into the camera imediately afterwards. I belive that is why I have never missed it or gone out with an empty camera (so far, fingers crossed).

16. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    Never had no memory card but I've forgotten my batteries on many occasions.

17. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    You are supposed to learn from your mistakes. ;)

I once forgot the battery (still at home in the charger) when I went to the last day of a one off event. Luckily I had my Canon Ixus compact as a spare /'backup' but as it was a low light environment the pictures were not great compared to what the Nex would have produced. :( Learnt from that and now I always take one quick picture (of anything) before I leave the house, so I know that camera, battery and card are all present and working okay. Always have a spare battery in the bag now too, but I have 3 bags so there is a chance it may not be in the one I take if I forget to check. :)

18. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Same here. I always have an extra SD card in my bag. Also, the NEX-6 allows me to offload the files via a USB cable so the card can stay in the camera.