1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Evening at another airport

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by -et-, May 31, 2013.

1. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    As a counterpoint to Tony's great morning images taken at the airport in Charleston, West Virginia, here is a shot taken at a different airport at a different time of day.

Specifically, here is an image taken in the evening at Atlanta airport, while waiting for my connecting flight to New Orleans.

The camera was my NEX-6, and the lens was the Sony 16-50 Power Zoom. (i.e. the "kit lens" for the NEX-6.)

Atlanta Airport - 8 May 2013.

- Tom -

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Very nice.

3. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Brilliant composition.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's a sunset picture I like!

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Lovely with the sun behind.

6. Very well captured!

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N8010 met Tapatalk

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    :eek: That sunset!!!

:thumbup:

8. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Simply stunning, Tom. I love it.

Tony

9. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Thanks. I really like the composition myself.

However, to be honest, all that I did was to add a little bit to a scene that I came upon by accident. I cannot claim to have planned the subject, or the lighting. I was waiting to catch a flight, and walked over to the window to see if there happened to be an image outside worth attempting to capture. Chance - in the form of my flight schedule - provided the setting sun, so I turned on the NEX-6 and took three shots, of which this is the one I like the best. All that I really contributed was to move to the side a few steps to make a minor change to the horizontal angle and what was and was not in the image, and squat down to change the vertical angle slightly.

In addition, I tweaked the image a little in post-processing. Between having the sun in the image and the aircraft in shadow, in the picture the aircraft was darker than I liked, so I bumped the shadows in Lightroom to get an image that looks like what I saw. (At the airport, my eyes automatically adjusted to the light level when I looked back and forth between the 757 and the sky.)

I also cropped the image to a 4/5 ratio so I can use it as wallpaper on my computer screen. (I work in aviation, so I am a bit biased about the choice of images that I use for wallpaper and screen savers.) I think that cropping to a 4/5 ratio did improve the image a small amount, but I find it quite acceptable at the original 2/3 ratio.

- Tom -

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    So... you shot and processed for your own pleasure, which is where I believe most of the great shots come from. Good on you!

11. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Dude, what you describe is what I call Street Photography.

Granted its a big street.