1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EU health autorities investigating evf's

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by soeren, Apr 1, 2015.

1. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Just read an article on EU health autorities investigating issues regarding eye deseases probably caused by evf's. Seems they Are suspecting a link between the use of mirroless cameras with Electronic finders and cartaric desease. This is a serious issue we need to investigate. We cant have products beeing a threat to the health of our public says the dutch MP Loof Lirpa

• Like Like x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Why??

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Hmmm.

But I am actually genuinely concerned about getting cancer in my eye from my OVF. Or just from being too close to my Rokkor collection.

Those lenses really are geniuinely radioactive! Is anybody else as worried/paranoid about this?

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    You are getting most radioactivity by flying. Most probably you are exposed more with everyday activities, microwaves, tvs, some soils has it naturally, even a banana is full of it, check potassium:) Also what happened to the cellphones, all that research?

• Like Like x 1
  5. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Those lenses use Thorium which does actually emit ionising radiation, unlike cellphones and microwaves (but yes like bananas and long haul flights).

I have no idea what the real risk is, but if you look on youtube there are disturbing videos of people with 70's SLR lenses geiger counters.

Sorry! Looks like I'm about to hijack this foolish thread.

6. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Guys, nothing wierd about the name mentioned? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    And today's date is . . . ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Does nobody care about this? I mean, I'm not about to wear a lead foil hat or anything. But we had lead paint and lead petrol back then, and I don't think you can make radioactive lenses these days.

Take a look at this video and see the geiger counter readings on a Pentax Super Takumar:

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

• Like Like x 1
  9. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    It's April 1st.
    Need I say more?

10. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Nope you nailed it. Aprils fool.
    Best regards

• Like Like x 2
  11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
  12. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    har har har

13. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  14. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    You can check the below link for "Hot Lenses-The objectives radioactive between myth and reality"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=https://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/10603698/1884644445/name/articolo_obiettivi_radioattivi.it.en.pdf?download=1&ei=NiwgVerwO4X3sAWu_4GgDA&usg=AFQjCNFS5XKOABO7uhx0dhT37Qy2hhEwpw&bvm=bv.89947451,d.b2w