Errrr !

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by page, Oct 8, 2013.

1. page

page TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 28, 2013
    Hi Guys,

A little help please needed.
    I just rescued under a pile of things this old lens from my father's photo camera set and it was attached to an old XG1 minolta camera .

This lens is CHINON multi coated, 35-100mm , F/3.5 - 4.3 , Φ67mm and what so called close focus (micro? )

Does anyone have an opinion of this ?
    The lens needs professional cleaning before use. Is it worth it ?

Course a minolta to NEX adapter must be purchased in order to work with my camera. Can you suggest me one ?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but i need a start to begin with !

Geo .

a1 044.jpga1 045.jpga1 048.jpga1 050.jpg
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    It's an off-brand lens with no particular reputation as far as I know and a zoom lens with a fairly wide range; count on low contrast, muted colors, lots of distortion and non-optimal sharpness in the corners. If you mean by "cleaning" something like removing fungus, forget about spending any money on it. These kind of lenses are available for $20 or less on eBay/Craigslist etc. so just buy another one if you want such a lens.

If you want to play around with legacy glass in general, it's a good idea to buy some cheap adapters for NEX to Minolta MD (mentioned first because I'm biased), Canon FD, Olympus OM, Pentax PK, Nikon F. If you stumble onto something later you'll have the adapter at hand. Personally I can hardly think of anything more frustrating than having a nice lens sit before you on the table and not being able to mount it on a camera. Trust me, I've been there :).
  4. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    I've had a few "Auto-Chinon" lenses mainly typical 70-210mm zoom type things. They were cheap when new and I really wouldn't go to too much trouble to clean one up considering the huge array of other legacy lenses available online for little money. Fun to play with maybe, but don't spend any $$$ on it :)
  5. page

page TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 28, 2013
    Ok Guys Thanks .
    got it ! no money to spend on this .

Once again, thanks .
  6. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    I too have found some old lenses at my father in laws house. They are fun finds, and now I"m addicted to Ebay looking for old lenses. It's a sickness. ;)

I agree on the adapter idea. I am one of those that has to wait for my adapters when I buy the lens. Luckily I'm an Amazon Prime member and I can get them here in two days.