1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Equipment Vest

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by roundball, Apr 10, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    For decades I’ve used good quality hunting vests as “equipment vests” for deer hunting. I buy them a couple sizes larger than normal to ensure they’ll fit over cold weather clothes, and the pockets are larger that way as well. I have the huge wrap around game pocket modified with a couple of heavy duty stitches to make 3 large pockets out of it instead of one. Carry rain gear, food, water, gloves, etc...a variety of items usually needed on an all day outing.

I’ve also been using one just like it for the past year to carry photo gear on hikes back through the woods, carrying similar items plus photography related stuff, a large tele, etc. However, its camouflaged and I’d like to find something like it in a plain / less conspicuous color for use in areas where I might run into people like at an Arboretum, etc…but for the life of me can’t find similar functional / heavy duty / quality hunting vests that aren’t camouflaged color or have a lot of ‘hunter orange’ designed into them.

Question:
    Anybody know of a similar sounding rugged type utility vest…travelers vest…hiking vest…that I could look into…not interested in a typical “photographers vest” if it screams “expensive camera stuff here”, or is covered with company logos, etc…thanks.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I use a paintball belt with pouches.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I love my radio vest from mountain uniforms. The material is very heavy duty and craftsmanship is excellent (at least on the one I bought 10 years ago). There are tons (I think 13) pockets ... my favorite is the huge/tall interior one with vertical zip), however the others are probably not as roomy as a hunting vest (they don't "bellow"). Although completely black and free of logos (save a small MU on the zipper pull), it does have a quasi-military look.

http://www.mountainouterwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1330000-1155770428

(if link violates rules and is removed, I apologize ... OP can PM me)

4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Would a fisherman's vest be more acceptable color wise?

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for the replies so far...

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks...looking for a vest

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Had that thought as well but have not dug any up that had the kinds of large pockets I'm looking for.
    There are also "Traveler's Vest" similar to fishing vests, but again, limited / small pockets...nothing to lay a 400mm lens in that I've turned up.

11. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I bought this one about 3+ years ago. I have only used it a handful of times tho because I bought it when I had my Canon DSLR and was doing a lot of outdoor portraits. I like it a lot as it doesn't necessarily look like a photo vest, more like a military vest. No logos or camera icons anywhere on it. Quality material and zippers. Lightweight and breathes nicely when its hot. If I had one con its the front bottom pockets are not as big as the one I had previously. Even though the pockets were slightly larger on the other, these pockets are more secure/stable with a lens in them. With the other one, the lenses tended to flop around. The only thing that might give it away that you are wearing a photography vest is the expensive photography camera hanging around your neck. ;)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...pCo_HMV_VS_BK_M_Safari_Photo_Vest_Medium.html

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
  13. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Yep they are aren't they?

That's a nice one tho. Be sure to write back what you think when you receive it! Cheers!

14. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    SCOTTEVEST google them.

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Their were some tie-breakers that made the difference for me:
    I've bought many products from Cabelas over a couple decades and know they only carry good quality products;
    The construction had good heavy duty stitching;
    This item had a 4.7 out of 5.0 satisfaction rating from a few hundred customers;

(Will have a local shop install HD snaps where the Velcro patches are)