• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Eos m

6so

TalkEmount Regular
[video=youtube;5PJoV9UQ8FE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PJoV9UQ8FE[/video]
A very entertaining review and the stop motion bits is really hilarious.

Had a chance to play with M as a colleague of mine was working on it's product launch last week. Overall it's not something I would buy as handling and ergonomically felt like a dated compact camera. It's like using a slippery camera that lacks button to go about. A little clumsy when navigating through the settings via touchscreen. For those who keep saying nex focus speed is inadequate please have a go at M. It's slower and hunts a lot during low light. Pretty much like how the video above depicts.

Really thought Canon would pull off a competitive mirrorless camera but that's not quite the case.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
HILARIOUS. Just precious, and very much hits the nail on the head, too.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Bad design, not many lenses, not very interesting features. What exactly Canon wants to tell us here? To be fair, their last batch of SLRs isn't that competitive either, so they seem to rest on their laurels.

Luckypenguin

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Nic
If Canon can get this thing right, this could become my APS-C mirrorless system of choice. There are quite a ways for them to go yet, though.

Loved the video :)

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
The stop motion bits are hilarious indeed :D

Yeah, the Eos M doesn't sound very good but you have to take into consideration that this is Canon's 1st try into the mirrorless market - comparing this with the latest say Sony's (Nex-6 & 7) isn't 100% fair...Its somehow the same as with comparing Sony's first attempt (Nex-5: didn't have EVF either, 2 lenses only available at the beginning, lower ISO capabilities, 7fps, no touch screen, 14p video, big shutter lag, less colour depth and resolution etc etc) with the 6 or 7, which have come a long way.
Now comparing Canon's first attempt with Sony's first attempt (Nex-5 vs EOS M) would give you quite different results ;)

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
A fast 35equiv pancake would be nice to have. I'm almost tempted by this first offering of theirs as a sort of poor man's RX1 (minus IQ plus interchangeability).

But then, if I were really going for pocketability I'd probably just get a RX100.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Love the action sequences!

Without seeing this in person the general idea this reviewer gives is this is on par with the first mirrorless generations, not current generations.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think Canon could've started with their first gen mirrorless way ahead of the pack IF they wanted to. They have the ability and the technology. There's no other reason I can think of that explains this detained offering other than 'policy' without any gumption for this market sector. Maybe they still don't understand it?

Yeah, the Eos M doesn't sound very good but you have to take into consideration that this is Canon's 1st try into the mirrorless market - comparing this with the latest say Sony's (Nex-6 & 7) isn't 100% fair... Now comparing Canon's first attempt with Sony's first attempt (Nex-5 vs EOS M) would give you quite different results ;)

I hear what you're saying - technically. But value wise, Canon isn't exactly selling the Eos M at entry level prices of yesteryear either. And when their next offering finally catches up with today's crop of mirrorless cameras, the likes of Sony would've moved even further ahead by then.

A disconcerting position for Canon, if they've misread the impetus of this mirrorless market...

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
I think Canon could've started with their first gen mirrorless way ahead of the pack IF they wanted to. They have the ability and the technology. There's no other reason I can think of that explains this retarded offering other than 'policy' without any gumption for this market sector. Maybe they still don't understand it?

I've been a long time Canon fan but sheesh... :(

I hear what you're saying - technically. But value wise, Canon isn't exactly selling the Eos M at entry level prices of yesteryear either. And when their next offering finally catches up with today's crop of mirrorless cameras, the likes of Sony would've moved even further ahead by then.

A disconcerting position for Canon, if they've misread the impetus of this mirrorless market...

I agree with you 100%
but IMHO sometimes you pay the premiun just for the brand name (generally speaking, not only for cameras)...

And perhaps Canon's move to release (a not that impressive spec comparing their todays competitors) their mirrorless camera is a "trick" to see what the fans think and come back later with their upgraded 2nd version which will probably not only satisfy the clients needs but also be very close to the competition...

Having said that, I myself as a 1st gen Nex owner, feel a little dissapointed/sad with Sony (and with my purchase sometimes), seeing that after 1-2 years the "new" Nex models offer so much more than the og Nex-5 :(

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Having said that, I myself as a 1st gen Nex owner, feel a little dissapointed/sad with Sony (and with my purchase sometimes), seeing that after 1-2 years the "new" Nex models offer so much more than the og Nex-5 :(

I use a NEX-5 for more than two years now, too, and there's hardly a feature I miss on it. Sure, faster shutter lag, a AF/MF-button and a EVF are nice, but I wouldn't have bought the 5 in the first place if it can't satisfy my needs. After all, IQ is still amazing with the Zeiss 24mm and I don't plan to buy another body unti this one reaches about 100k shots. Investing in lenses is so much better over a longer period of time than spending 1k every year on a new body just to get any pointless feature.

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Investing in lenses is so much better over a linger period of time than spending 1k every year on a new body just to get any pointless feature.

I admire your fortitude... I'd love to still have my old Nikon F2A (and the thousands and thousands of dollars spent since then) and REALLY good glass. Well, maybe not quite THAT far back, but I appreciate your position.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
I just read Thom Hogan (I'm a pretty big fan of this gentleman, who *always* takes the time to answer emails though he probably receives hundreds (thousands ?) a day), and he confirms the M is a big Meh...
I defended the camera's concept against initial bashing at press release but now it seems that Canon has, indeed, screwed up pretty thoroughly with that one. Vanity is rarely a good thing to deal with.

applemint

TalkEmount Veteran
I use a NEX-5 for more than two years now, too, and there's hardly a feature I miss on it.

I am still happy with my Nex 5 after 2 years (although it did make me realise that I prefer a viewfinder, but still I can live without one most of the time) - still having fun with legacy lenses and the 16 and 55-210. My main complaint would be the slowish AF (compared to m43/slrs) but then I hear that the new Nex cameras are still not up to m43 speed on AF so I am not really in a hurry to upgrade.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I am still happy with my Nex 5 after 2 years (although it did make me realise that I prefer a viewfinder, but still I can live without one most of the time) - still having fun with legacy lenses and the 16 and 55-210. My main complaint would be the slowish AF (compared to m43/slrs) but then I hear that the new Nex cameras are still not up to m43 speed on AF so I am not really in a hurry to upgrade.

For my shooting style, super fast AF is not necessary, so I won't spend money on it.
And then there's always the option to focus manually, which is super fast too.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
For my shooting style, super fast AF is not necessary, so I won't spend money on it.
And then there's always the option to focus manually, which is super fast too.

clear, who needs the AF in the nex? With legacy lens is so sophisticated/easy to use MF using the peaking, and here are several examples in the forum, many wonderful pictures, offering very good Constrast, detail and directly in the focus, with some old lenses for less than $ 50, as Nyanis, presented to us here in beautiful photos without using AF.

Latest threads

Top Bottom