1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EOS-M: an offer I couldn't refuse

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Jefenator, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I saw on Amazon, the EOS-M with 22mm f/2 pancake lens was up for grabs, brand new for $299. It was too good a deal to for me to resist.

Last summer when it came out at over twice the price, I passed it up. But for $299, I can justify that for a casual, take-everywhere rig. For $299 it really won't matter if the AF or the interface isn't state of the art. I'll have fun testing the 22/2 against my SEL24 (seeing just how good this inexpensive fast wide pancake really is). And if I get some "keeper" shots on occasions where I wouldn't have otherwise felt like bringing my "good" camera (of which there are actually quite a few) it will all be worth it.

With the EVF and easily accessible manual focus amenities, I don't expect my NEX-7 is in any serious danger just yet.

I'll report further when the package arrives and I have a chance to put it through its paces. :cool:

2. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    My brother got one for that price and I got to play around with it yesterday. It's not a bad camera and for that price it's a great deal. After playing around with it I see one grievous omission, the LCD is firmly stuck in place, no pop up or down like the NEX 5n. Also no touch screen, which I find myself using a lot to zoom in or focus.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Well...
    Since Sony doesn't yet have a native E-Mount pancake lens with that type of speed (although Samsung & Panasonic also do)....I can definitely understand you inability to refuse that Canon :smile:

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I hope your Nex-7 beats the hell out of the EOS-M, lol :p
    On a serious note, nice deal for that price ;)

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'm waiting for such a deal here in The Netherlands, but then with the EF adapter included so that I can buy a 17mm T/S later... Yeah, I think I'll talk myself out of this, surely Zeiss or Schneider will come up with a E-mount shift lens in the next decade, right? I still long for a shift lens on my digital camera, using a shift 28mm on the Nikon F3 was a dream. And yes, I know that Lightroom offers perspective correction these days and I use it quite often, but it's not the same as being able to frame your image right away, seeing the result immediately.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    The EOS M has a touchscreen. In fact, most of the interface is through that touchscreen.

7. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Huh, is it turned off by default? Because the camera was fresh out of the box and that screen was definitely not reacting to any external stimuli.

8. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I don't think you can turn it off at all. Like I said, most of the inteface for that camera is through the touchscreen. You can adjust the sensitivity and some aspects of it but it should always be on.

9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    it is certainly a great price, congratulations hope your opinion

10. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    For anyone who wants one. It's still $299 at Amazon for the 22m kit.

11. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I notice the price fluctuates quite a bit - seems like $299 is only up for fairly brief periods.

12. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    The price doesn't fluctuate. Amazon is a marketplace, not a single vendor. So what looks like the price changing is the vendor changing. Each vendor sets their own price. Look a the listing page and it'll show you who is selling the camera. Look along the right and it'll show you all the vendors selling the camera. Pick amazon.com and the price is $299.

13. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Showed up today, wheee!!! Of course, I just had to immediately put it up against the SEL24.

It's about what I expected. Sharpness seems comparable (the SEL gets to contend with 6000000 more pixels that are smaller).

Here's some tests I ran:

Pixel Peeping / Lens Tests - a set on Flickr

The extra $700 for the Sony lens gets you better background blur. But that little Canon pancake is no slouch at all!

The biggest surprise was, the Canon actually had smoother action, doing manual focus at close range! (But not until I figured out how to kick in the magnification - surprisingly handy on the touch screen!!)

Now my NEX-7 feels big and clunky! ;)

Actually, the NEX feels more serious. The little EOS-M is a nifty gadget, but without any sort of grip or viewfinder... well, it is what it is.

The touch screen is very handy and the old familiar Canon menu layout is thoroughly refreshing.

14. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks Jeff for the test and your first impressions. I've played with the EOS M in a store a while ago and I must say I was positively surprised by the ease of handling it. However, Canon will have to go a long way to tempt me to give up on the NEX-6: no finder, no movable LCD, almost no lenses (OK, 3 for us Europeans because we seem to be able get the 11-22mm here besides the kit zoom and the 22mm), deadly slow autofocus.

15. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It seems to me like Canon is the hare and Sony the tortoise in the race to produce a serious, dominant mirrorless system. Canon has casually managed to nail a few major things Sony can't quite seem to achieve. But it remains an overtly half-hearted venture on Canon's part. With just a little more effort, they could have a well-rounded lineup of excellent, inexpensive lenses. That plus a halfway-serious body could really put Sony and others in a tight spot!

Sony's pacing may seem frustrating at times, but I do appreciate their determination to innovate.

16. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    And...
    We have no lens that fast, that small, & in that price range for a native E-Mount...

17. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    No, we don't.

It's not ALL gravy. I hear a lot of griping about the AF speed, with the 22mm pancake lens in particular. (Something to do with the motor used to accommodate that small form factor - apparently it is significantly slower than the 18-55 zoom.) It doesn't particularly bother me, but some folks feel it to be a major impediment.

Also: the body. I had it out roaming today. I did enjoy having such a cheap, compact DSLR-killer on my person for more casual use, but I also bitterly missed having a viewfinder. For $299 I'm going to keep having fun and being happy, but if Canon really wants their lunch back, they've got a lot of mirrorless R&D to do.

18. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    I meant speed as in a native pancake lens at ƒ2.0 or faster .....

19. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    If it were that price in the UK i'd be tempted too! Enjoy :)

20. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    I haven't handled one, but from all the reviews it appears that the first-generation EOS-M cameras were intentionally hobbled to protect Canon's DSLR business. I saw that deal before I decided to take the plunge on the NEX-6, but what I read left me wondering if there's really a good future for EOS-M (at least without major changes that might render future products incompatible with the first generation). It sounds like you'll just be relying on it as a second camera (at least at first) so it's probably a good buy for you. It sounds like it will provide value for you whether or not there proves to be a future with that particular platform.