1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Enthusiasts, have you tried DXO Optics for batch post image processing?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BlueBill, Jan 8, 2014.

1. BlueBill

BlueBill TalkEmount Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    I didn't notice any recent discussion on DXO Optics so I'll start a thread. In a nutshell the DXO lab takes hundreds of camera, sensor & lens combinations (even many P&S cameras and some smartphones) and "fixes" the images to correct for their short fallings.

Worth a look as they offer a free trial. The compare mode can be jaw dropping.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mary Elizabeth Murphy

Mary Elizabeth Murphy New to TalkEmount

May 25, 2013
    Ireland
    Thanks for the tip. I had a look and it's very interesting. Do you know how user friendly it is practically?

3. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I have DXO 8 and was going well with it until I started using Minolta legacy lens on my NEX 6, and now Sony A7. It either doesn't recognise and allow the use of such combinations or I haven't found out how to get it to do so.

4. BlueBill

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    It's very easy to use:
    Import your photos, it'll download any supported body / lens combinations it needs (they have a camera / lens compatibility table on their site and are adding new combos all the time).
    Choose the options you want it to correct
    Select the photos you want to process
    Process

It generally supports only camera & lens combinations that don't require mount adapters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mary Elizabeth Murphy

Mary Elizabeth Murphy New to TalkEmount

May 25, 2013
    Ireland
    Thanks a lot, I'll try out the free trial:)

6. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Just downloaded the trial - quite impressed. The vignetting and distortion particularly bugs me about my 55-210 and this just fixes it no fuss!
    Will likely be addicted to the ease in 30 days and so will purchase - thanks to the OP for the tip!

Lack of legacy glass support is a shame - maybe if we all start requesting a few of the most commonly used ones on E-Mount they might do them...?
    For now I will just take a shot of a grid and make a custom profile for the OM lens I have - should be an interesting experience :)

7. BlueBill

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    I too was hooked way back on version 6. The science and math behind it made sense and it did wonders with my old crappy cameras and my new not so crappy cameras. I could never figure out how DXO never seemed to be the go to program for many digital photographers.

I've never tried the custom grid. Seems like some pretty complex computations are involved. It can give your GPU & CPU a workout.

I would email them the camera & lens combo, also might be interesting to start a thread on these forums and get a petition going.

PS it supports iPhone cameras but don't expect miracles.

8. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    I used to love DxO a few years ago, pre-Lightroom. Tried it again 2 weeks ago. The automated features are great if you're in a hurry, but the demosaicing is actually worse than that of Lightroom/ACR. Given Lightroom's convenience as an image catalog and its compatibility with plugins, I didn't see any benefit to using DxO Optics Pro.

9. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi it looks also that the nex-f3 is in their list! It does support only last year lenses but still I want to give a try.

Regards

10. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi there,
    I indeed downloaded it and tried it.

A. It does not show to me big improvements if you do not own one of the supported lenses
    B. How one can work with lightroom and dxo?
    C. Noise reduction looks to be just local averaging. One can have the same I guess in photoshop.

Can someone comment on the above?

R
    Alex

11. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    A. With supported glass it's excellent, without its 'merely' very good.

B. there are several tutorials on the DxO website on integrating it into a workflow with LR.

C. I find DxO's NR is very good, particularly the new PRIME variant. Prefer it to LR's. If I want full control, however, I prefer NIK plugins.

12. BlueBill

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Interesting article. I never thought that each softwares has their own way of interpreting a RAW image.

14. Digitalsafari

Digitalsafari New to TalkEmount

Jan 10, 2014
    I use LR5 to organise and do quick adjustments for Flickr, email etc, but for anything special I go to DXO Optics generally.

It can be really impressive for supported body/lens combinations, so I recommend downloading and doing the 30 day free trial to see if it works for you.

Another great feature of DXO are the colour rendering options, say you like Olympus or Fuji colour, you can select the colour rendering of different digital camera bodies such as Olympus E420, Fuji S5, Leica M, etc.

If you add the DXO Film Pack you get various Positive, Negative and B&W film simulations for colour and grain.
    For B&W I prefer Nik/Google Silver EFX Pro.