Enhanced ISO - what is it?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jethro10, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    A lot of reviews I read say something like "the camera goes to ISO 6400, enhanced to 12800"
    I assume it "really" is a 6400 ISO sensor, and it's doing some tomfoolery to get a better ISO.

However none ever telly you the mechanics of it - how does it work?

for instance many cameras, including my NEX have Zoom, Clear Zoom - which re-samples the pixels of a portion of the sensor to a higher resolution, and then Digital Zoom which is just cropping it seems.
    Knowing this, I can decided if Clear Zoom is worth it for me - and it is now and then. but with ISO enhance, I have no idea what it's doing.

2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Lot's of good articles on the net about ISO settings

The sensor actually has only one natural or base ISO setting. Usually somewhere between 50 and 200. I think the C3 is 200, most of the other NEXes are 100.

Any other "native" setting is actually comes from the sensor pushing the gain to get you there; at the cost of noise.

An enhanced setting is even higher gain push done on the sensor, but above the manufacturer's recommended limit due to noise.

The camera won't go above the native max by default, if you want to use an ISO setting that high, you would need to be in manual ISO mode.

It's always best to shoot at native ISO whenever possible, and increase ISO only if needed, keeping as close to native as possible.
  3. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    I see. It's all quite different from the old days of film. I always use the lowest iso I can get away with.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using TalkNEX