1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Emount camera with stabilization - will we ever see it?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by fractal, Jun 24, 2014.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Imagine an e-mount full-frame ( or even aps-c ) camera with in body stabilization. Does anybody else craze the ability to use adapted lenses and have them stabilized?

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I hope it's in the a7000. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Probably not as it is clearly put into the lenses.

But who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I agree ... marketing OSS lenses when there is in-camera stabilization would be difficult, and on the practical side I suspect they would fight each other and one would have to be disabled.

5. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    I read the other day that in-lens stabilization in better than in-body stabilization. Sure it'd be nice to be able to use legacy lenses and have them stabilized, but I don't think Sony is going to do it anytime soon. They're about to produce new curved sensors, that will certainely be a game changer! It will reduce considerable the distortions and chromatique aberations. In the meantime Sony will have to elaborate a whole new range of lenses. In a way it's a pity since they're already criticized for the few lenses available for the E-mount...

• Like Like x 1
  6. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    In lens stabilization gives you a stabilized view in your viewfinder which makes framing easier, especially on longer lenses. I think on shorter lenses, it makes less of a difference. Olympus 5-axix in-body IS is good and is probably just as good as the best in lens stabilization.

I would think if Sony starts to move towards making cameras with only one mount, then you might see SSS appear on E-mount for use with all the Alpha lenses. Sony seems to have cracked the OSPDAF tech to give good results. If this can be made to work with Alpha lenses then there is little need for cameras with an alpha mount as you can just put an adapter on. Panasonic did come out with a camera with in-body stabilization after they had many lenses with OS so it has been done.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    It would be nice. Sony obviously has the tech since it's in their DSLT models.

The only reason why I don't think they will (anytime soon) is that it's not easy to do for their full-frame e-mount cameras, and I think that's where they would most likely want to put IBIS if they were doing it at all. I think they would want it there first because there are still only a handful of FE lenses, but lots of non-stabilized A-mount lenses that they suggest people use on the A7 series. But the full frame sensor already hits the corners of the mount ring, so there's not much, if any, extra room to shift the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    bump!

I just stumbled across this old thread again and it brought a grin to my face ... thought someone else might find our musings amusing.

• Like Like x 3