Editing my pictures

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by alaios, Mar 8, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Dear all,
    I am using photoshop for editing my images and even though I know how to use it (I know all the basic editing tools, like brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, exposure e.t.c)
    I do not know which technique to use for editing in the following 3 images. All these images I think are really tough to be "corrected" I just need for slight improvements.

1) How to reduce contrast with the very strong light at the background and make the face a bit more sharp?

2) The opposite now. Reduce the lightness of the overall scene.. it would be nice though to keep a bit of the sun lights getting in the image

3) How to make the image a bit sharper and reduce the blurness?

I would like to thamnk you in advance for your help

2. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    Here's a tutorial to help with contrast/brightness...you need to find these free tutorials online/youtube if you have a good unlimited data package.
    This is but one of many you can find online.
    Photoshop Tutorial: Adjusting Contrast and Brightness

Your last photo is "camera shake" very difficult and near impossible to correct but you can use photoshop to enhance it in other ways.
  3. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    First: use layer masks to cut out the person, tone down the higlights in the background with one layer and lighten the person on the other layer, then merge them, find a tutorial on layers if you need it.

Second: use "curves" and pull it down seriously, it would be all easy from that point.

Third: to my experience motion blur is almost impossible to correct, there is a topaz labs plugin that promise to do so, but I tried it without great success.

Here the girl was seriously underexposed, the background way brighter than it appears now, and I recovered it with the first method I suggested and 10 minutes work, with another 10 minutes I could I've done better, but I do not bother so much for a facebook pic, and this was coming from an old 14mpx Samsung sensor with half the latitude of modern Sonys, now we can do better.