1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

eclipse

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Bimjo, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, I hope everyone else had more luck than I did. Very few clouds all day, the moon came up & still not too bad. Come time for the eclipse and the clouds rolled in. I'm relatively disgusted at Mother Nature at the moment. [sigh]

One clear shot an hour after moonrise.
    eclipse140414_01.

Typical of what my eclipse experience was like. :(
    eclipse140414_02.

A couple that aren't totally horrible, but there ain't no color either.
    eclipse140414_03.

eclipse140414_04.

Post 'em up if you got 'em, I want to see at least one pic of a red moon. :p

• Like Like x 7
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Better than I did, nothing.

I saw it when I got off work, but I did not have my camera.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Pretty nice!

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Wow, those are good moon shots! Yeah, would like to see the blood moon too, but unfortunately, it's not visible from Europe this time ...

Btw., how long was the lens you used?

5. Moshe

Moshe TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2013
    I got a few too but I will post them when I get home.

Mine were not really clear and I even though I was playing around with the settings I literally couldn't feel my fingers and they felt swallen. It was really really cold.

anyways, out of the lot I got one that is barely acceptable using a 70mm-200mm Canon FD Lense

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    We had a light haze in the sky last night (or rather, this morning), so viewing conditions weren't optimal. But I did manage to capture this:

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/24708362@N00/13873979485/player/" width="1024" height="683" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Shot with the A7, a Nikon 180mm @ f/2.8 with a 2X teleconverter for 1/2 sec @ ISO 1600, and cropped to 74%.

That's the star Spica from the constellation Virgo in the 10 o'clock position, and Mars off at 3 o'clock.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks Poki, these are the full frame from a Nikkor 80-400 VR @ 400/11. And they don't look nearly that good full size. ;)

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah! That's what I wanted to see. Great shot David. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    As it became more and more apparent that I was not going to get the shots that I wanted, I started to screw around. I figured since I had everything set up, why not?

The last of the ISO 100 shots. The clouds are really getting heavy now.
    eclipse140414_05.

The rest of these are straight out of the camera, no adjustments or noise reduction at all.

And now the cloud cover is so heavy you can't see the moon in the camera at ISO 100. This is ISO 3200/0.4 sec.
    eclipse140414_06.

How about some ISO 25600 for ⅕ sec?
    eclipse140414_07.

ISO 6400/1.3 sec
    eclipse140414_08a.

And the same shot that I applied noise reduction to and bumped a couple of sliders.
    eclipse140414_08b.

Not what I was after, but interesting in the calmer light of day. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Hey guys, I got plenty of blood moons last night from here in New Zealand - with a few caveats ! Firstly, I discovered my 70-210 has fungus !! Argh !! And it's pretty slow so had to shoot ridiculously high ISOs to get an image. My internet is down at the moment but as soon as I get back online I'll post some up.

11. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Sweet shot mate, nice :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Great shots all!

I was particularly bummed last night as the heavy clouds of a coming storm settled in. I received a new "lens" as a birthday present a couple weeks ago and was looking forward to using it to capture the blood moon.

It's a 1500mm f10 (6-inch aperture)...
    a/k/a a Celestron NexStar 6SE Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope. ;) Just got the T-adapter and T-ring last week too. Would've been epic, or so I like to think.

When the skies clear again around here, I'll shoot the "regular" moon (and planets as well) and post any decent shots I manage (I'm a little worried about manually focusing into my a3000).

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I feel your pain, but at least I wasn't waiting to try out a new lens. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Here we go, some blood moons from down under in NZ. Stupid high ISOs and fungus in the lens to blame for the bad focus ( I'm not to blame, honest ). I'm pretty embarrassed by these and wasn't going to post them, but in the spirit of sharing I thought 'why not' :)

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/55578821@N02/13888505075/player/" width="1024" height="575" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/55578821@N02/13888908994/in/photostream/player/" width="1024" height="575" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/55578821@N02/13888912994/in/photostream/player/" width="1024" height="575" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 3
  15. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Looks to me that a badly calibrated lens is to blame for the bad focus (i.e. "infinity" is probably reached before the focus ring hits the infinity stop).

But thank you all for posting those blood moon pics! So at least I can enjoy to see it without traveling to the US. :)

16. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    This is all I got, it's ok
    moon.

• Like Like x 4
  17. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    I would normally agree 100% mate, but on this occasion I don't think calibration is the issue. I've used this lens combo many times without an inability to get good focus so something has changed. I backed off the infinity stop a little but still couldn't get it clear. I can clearly see a foggy area inside the lens and 'fingers' of mould spreading across it. Fortunately the lens ( a Canon FD 70-210 F/4 ) was pretty cheap and easily replaced.