1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

eBay/PayPal rant

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by TonyTurley, Aug 10, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    This weekend, I placed 8 of my legacy lenses on eBay. Surprisingly, I sold 4 the first 36 hours they were listed. I was quite pleased . . . until I was informed PayPal was holding my funds until August 30 (21 days). Let's see now, I've been dealing on eBay since 1998, with a 100% feedback rating. Granted, it is the first time I have ever sold multiple items in one day, but suspicious behavior? eBay/PayPal certainly aren't shy about taking shipping funds from the "frozen" assets, and they don't even try to hide the fact that the "frozen" funds are placed into pooled accounts to gain interest . . . to which PayPal users aren't entitled.

I immediately cancelled the remaining listings. I will no longer deal with such thieves and frauds. I guess my online selling days are over, because I will no longer accept PayPal payments. If I'm not permitted access to my funds, yet am required to ship immediately . . . well, I'll no longer play against a stacked deck.

Rant mode off. I'm just really ticked right now.

Tony

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Sorry man.

Never had that before.

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I did a bit of reading after I got hit and found it has been biting people more and more. Apparently, it is a policy they instituted within the past year. It truly seems to be random, and has no correlation with feedback rating.

Tony

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Sad to hear Tony. I've had a friend telling me the same thing a few days ago
    Seems like Paypal/ebay are using some not so good practises...

Though, I personally have been an avid paypal/ebay user for a long time with no issues

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yeah, I agree, eBay/PayPal is not for selling anymore. Apart from this holding funds tactics they also take about 12 % of your selling price, eBay 8 % and PayPal about 4 %. I've stopped selling on eBay for over a year now, I only list my items on a local advertising site these days.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Once my funds have been released, I will be closing my eBay and PayPal accounts.

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Still, I think some very good deals can be found on ebay (and therefore would be missed in the above case). And most online stores these days accept paypal as a payment method which is very safe from a buyers point of view. Way I see it is that ebay/paypal mainly protects the buyer and not the seller :)

8. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry

Tony, I understand your frustration. I had something of a similar issue occur when I was selling an item that was higher priced than usual for me. I don't do a lot of selling and there was no warning until after the transaction. If selling something now, I prefer to do it elsewhere when possible, but there is something to be said for getting the largest audience to view one's items. Depending on what is being sold, sometimes there are a limited number of people to whom the item might appeal and having the largest audience possible is important. For that reason, and for the ability to buy from time to time, I continue to keep my account active.

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I live in the middle of nowhere. There simply is no "local" way to sell or buy anything here. So I look at eBay and PayPal as purveyors of a very valuable service to me, and I'll pay their fees because that's just the cost of using their service, and to me it's well worth the price.

I don't like it when they withhold my funds for a while. But it's not money that I absolutely have to have to pay the mortgage or anything, so in the end it's not a big deal to me.

I do understand your displeasure, Tony. And it's great if you have alternatives for buying and selling stuff. But for me, it's just a cost of doing business.

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    +1. Tony, I'd reconsider deleting your accounts. I agree with Nick that eBay is still an attractive place to buy stuff; not because of low prices (these are rare) but because you can get stuff on eBay that you can't get easily any other way. And paying with PayPal hasn't been a problem for me so far and boy I've been buying a lot, also recently :eek:.

11. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The thing that sticks in my craw is that no internet retailer would allow you to buy an item, ship it immediately, and then wait for payment for up to 21 days. Yet eBay/PayPal demands immediate shipment once the buyer has forwarded funds from their own account. No, it isn't a lot of money, but it is my money, not PayPal's. The only other option if I was to stay with eBay is to refuse PayPal payments, but I seriously doubt very many people would buy something under those conditions.

Tony

PS: I have filed an online complaint with the BBB that covers PayPal's HQ. I doubt it will make any difference, but if more and more people who get treated like this would do likewise, it might force a change.

12. tombran

tombran TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Hi, sorry to hear about your pblms with eBay. I have several friends who used to do plenty of transactions on eBay, and they're also telling me they've stopped dealing with eBay. You watch, eBay will get replaced with some other service soon. Amazon's been 100% OK with me so far. Thinking about setting up a web store with them. Anybody have any experience with Amazon?

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, the payment per transaction keeps growing.

I use Amazon, Craigslist and Ebay.

Amazon is good, but more focused on business sellers.

Craigslist is great, but only local.

14. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I have considered trying to sell as an individual through Amazon. $0.99 per transaction, but how much of a cut do they take? I didn't see that in their FAQ.

Tony

15. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Forgive me but I need to vent . . . I just spoke to a PayPal representative, who then switched me to an eBay rep. It seems my history of buying more than I sell, and having sold nothing else in the past 90 days, makes me a "bad seller" risk, despite having never received a negative rating. They are now saying my funds will not be released until 3 days after receiving delivery confirmation. I told them both their policies were ridiculous, that it was my money and not theirs, and that I had filed a complaint with the California BBB . . . and they basically told me to go fly a kite. Lovely business model.

16. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Sorry to hear Tony and I think you're right - that's ridiculous...

17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That's retarded.

18. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Yep. Unfortunately, I doubt there will be enough people dump eBay/PayPal over this policy to get their attention. I know I've used both for the last time. Once my pending transactions are resolved, I'm done with them.

19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks for the heads up. Won't be selling on eBay at all from now on.

20. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Me again. This update is somewhat long, but I wanted to post my latest volley in the fight against corporate greed and theft. Our senior US senator is Jay Rockefeller, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. Although he is retiring, I'm still hoping he has a fair amount of pull in the commerce world. I sent him the following e-mail today:

I've written to him in the past, and he did reply . . . or at least, a staff member replied. I don't know if this will make any difference, but at least I tried.

Tony