E mount on road to no where

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by Chris Munden, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Chris Munden

Chris Munden TalkEmount Regular

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    Read a couple of rumours on another forum, where it was suggested the E mount NEX/A6xxxx type cameras are on a dead end road which is why Sony are neglecting to bring out new lenses for that mount, preferring to poor money into FE lenses and the 7 series cameras. It was also mentioned that Olympus and Panasonic have the CSC market sewn up and Sony are struggling with their CSC sales.

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The A6300 just came out a few months ago. You can use FE-mount glass with it if you like, but I am going to bet the majority of APS-C users seldom migrate beyond a kit lens or two, and that is likely why we do not see a lot of new APS-C only lenses. On Amazon's current top-selling mirrorless cameras, Sony has 9 of the top 12.

Struggling? I don't think so...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    For us it seems to be getting more expensive to invest in new Sony-ware
    (SR5) Bad news for German folks (and probably rest of EU to): Sony price increases will start on August 1! - sonyalpharumors
    I doubt this would increase the sales if they would be sitting on full depots.

That Sony is setting the priorities to the A7 line is an old story and I think every company would invest primarily in their main product series.
    After the retreat of Samsung Fuji should be the only company with a fully supported APS-C line.

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Not sure the title is appropriate, because e-mount is actually thriving. Sony E-mount APS-C lenses have stopped for years, so that's nothing new.
    BTW - FE is not a mount. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Okay, I'm taking the bait...

At the risk of sounding like a Sony-apologist, I think any "rumours on another forum" are not likely to be anything close to reliable indicators of the state of Sony's E-mount (and by E-mount I include both APS-C and FF; E and FE respectively) nor Sony's commitment to its non-A7 cameras. This is particularly true if those "rumours" are accompanied by forum posts trumpeting the eclipsing success of a competing system or brand. As Bob noted, in terms of sales in ILCs, Sony still appears (as best I have seen) to be outselling all brands not named Canon or Nikon. That's not a slight to Olympus, Panasonic, or Fuji - those are all good, strong systems - it's just the way the market shapes out. I don't have the sales data on me, but I do recall Sony announcing at the A6300 introduction that its predecessor, the A6000, was the best selling ILC ever (not sure if that's just Sony ILC or all brands, but the A6000 was without a doubt a huge sales success, and Sony knows it).

It seems that every time Sony announces another new FE lens, particularly when those are big and expensive, the cries of woe about the impending death of Sony's APS-C line-up ring out again.
    As I believe I've said in one or two other threads, the more appropriate comparison in terms of lens lineups isn't to compare E & FE to Fuji or Olympus or Panasonic, all of whom support only one sensor size, but to Canon and Nikon's (and now Pentax's) DSLR lines that support both APS-C and full-frame. In those dual-size line-ups, similar patterns emerge where the APS-C line-up tends to have less in the way of fast primes or fast constant zooms, and less long telephotos; and the full-frame line makes up more in the long and fast options given that a FF lens works on an APS-C body and "kills two birds with one stone" so to speak. Looking at Sony's own A-mount lens line-up is, I believe, a good way to get a feel for where Sony may be going.

Would I like a nice constant, fast standard zoom, like the constant f/2.8 SAL1650? You betcha! Would I like a nice, affordable longer telephoto zoom like the SAL55300? Definitely! Do I think their absence is a dealbreaker for Sony's APS-C lens line-up? No way. There's still a lot of good lenses in APS-C for E-mount, and third party support is stepping up a bit as well. The MC-11 adapter from Sigma for their Art and Contemporary series lenses is a very intriguing proposition for both full-frame and APS-C lenses.

Okay, stepping down off soapbox. End rant response. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Errr, ummm.... yeah, I knew that. I should stop trying to write posts during a work break. :blush:

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    These are legitimate concerns that have been brought up for a while. Up until the A6300, we were concerned anything APS-C E-Mount was going to come out. The A6300 alleviated those concerns.

Of real concern is the lack of any APS-C lenses. I enjoy having Full Frame lenses available, but I would like to see some dedicated APS-C lenses.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Sony makes too much money off of their E-mount APS-C video cameras to abandon. They know that business will be there. I think once they fill out the FE line up you'll see a few more APS-C lenses. Right now Canon and Nikon have FF mirrorless camera's in stages of development. The days of Sony standing alone in that segment are numbered so that's rightly where their focus is.

9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I'm not sure I agree with this because video users can easily use FF lenses. They certainly don't care about size. The only people who want APS-C lenses are those that want a more compact system or are concerned with expense. Neither of those things really apply to someone with a professional video camera.

10. Chris Munden

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    Yes, agreed, Sony must have some faith in the E mount APS-C line by bringing out the A6300, but how many more new models do we get before they give the lens line up a make over, its sadly neglected and quite frankly, most are under performers. I also agree that many people may not progress past the supplied kit lens but at the same token many will. It could be a good system camera. The Sony FF market is small by comparison to Canon and Nikon which are still the cameras of choice by Pros. Most Sony interchangeable lens sales are cropped cameras either E mount or A mount as they are affordable to a wider market, but their biggest growth area are compacts according to one reviewer. If Sony intend to push the E mount cropped line they need to get a better strategy or the competition will over take them. The also played foot loose and hot and cold with the future of A mount not giving any indication where that line was going, no route maps or any thing. I have many friends in my camera club who jumped ship to other brands because Sony dithered about with no indication of where the A mount were going. I will stick with my A6000 and A mount lenses via an adaptor, but I will have an eye open on other brands to see what they offer.

11. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    E mount lenses covering 135mm format is where the cash cow is at the moment. Having said that, any FE lens can be used on any E mount camera, APSC or FF, so what is the issue?

This is what APSC users from other brands have been doing for quite some time, as even Canikon are not on a rush introducing APSC lenses...

For those that are committed to APSC format, there are APSC-only systems out there, for mirrorless arguably one of the best is Fuji X.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Id like a system where i could make the transition a little less painfull by using some of the stuff i already have, lenses, batteries flash and triggers etc. Just a thought :)

13. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    When I was shooting Canon, everyone complained about the lack of APS-C lenses there. I think the APS-C lenses are what they are -- they are a second consideration for Sony, who is mainly trying to build a full frame system, and get up to the "Pros" or at least folks willing to spend lots of money -- and APS-C is a nice entry-level. It will get some love here and there, but it's not it's main focus, unlike say Fuji APS-C or Pan/Oly, who both must make those sensor formats excel.

It is what it is what it is...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    As you should, IMhO.

I bought into Sony's line of cameras because they offer tools that meet my needs at a price I can (mostly) afford. If someone else starts selling a substantially better product, and I can pay for it, I'll put all of my Sony stuff up on eBay and move on. Just as I would if someone offered me a substantially better hammer or screwdriver. Emotional attachment and loyalty belong to my family and friends, not to manufacturers of consumer products.

I expect Sony to behave rationally: produce products that they think will sell. And I don't believe that they're irrationally ignoring some massive demand for APS-C lenses. But I also don't believe that they would have gone through the trouble of designing and manufacturing the A6300 if the APS-C format were truly a "dead-end road," no matter what someone wrote on some Internet forum.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  15. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    To me, it's not so much that they aren't rolling out a ton of dedicated APS-C lenses, nor the breadth of the line-up/selection, but rather that some of the existing lenses are weaker than I'd like to see.

For example, Canon's EF-M 22mm 2.0 pancake is outstanding. Would love to see that option in Sony, and they could take back the 16mm pancake and the 35mm macro to make room for this equivalent lens, lol. (and the 20/2.8, too!) ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  16. Chris Munden

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    I don't think Sony have quiet got the E mount APS-C lens line up right 'yet', OK you can use FE lenses but not everyone can afford them especially us amateurs. I don't have brand loyalty any more, agree about the Canon EF-M 22-mm. Some good reports about the EF-M System and its standard kit lenses, Amateur Photographer said the camera produced impressive IQ but downed it for no built in EVF, you have to buy that as a add on
    I must admit it has tempted me, mainly because I prefer Canon colours to Sony, Still I digress, I shall plod on with the A6000 Pity the zooms are bigger than the body Lol.

17. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Meh, they've been recycling this rumor ever since the a7 came out. And then again when it took a while for the A6300 to come out. A few months later... rumour is back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    While the EF-M 22mm will give you pretty good image quality, it is also not without it's issues. This is one of the slowest focusing lenses I have ever used. I know part of that is the EOS M cameras in general but it is well documented that this lens is probably the slowest focusing lens in the EOS M system. I bought an EOS M 22mm kit on the cheap to try to get a 35mm equiv option (did not want to pay high price for Sony/Zeiss 24mm) but I sold it because of the AF.

I will agree that a compact/cheap 24mm lens is something that Sony should produce for APS-C E mount. Maybe a better kit lens as well. Sony have obviously been focused on getting the FE lens offerings built up and if you look at the lineup now, it's actually pretty good given the short period of time. One would think that Sony is at a place where they can start to add or update APS-C lenses.

19. Chris Munden

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    The Sigma 19-mm F/2.8 E mount is a good lens, a bit slow but the focusing is decent and IQ excellent on the A-6000, but look at the price its a bargain for what it offers. Its the 16-50 kit lens that needs replacing for something better its long overdue for improvement.

20. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I actually have had a lot of very good photos from the 16-50 kit lens much to my surprise, I started a thread saying so, I don't know if I have a particularly good copy or what but it performs far better than I expected it to. There seems to be folk who say the 16-70 lens doesn't offer much over the 16-50 in terms of IQ but other folk seem to think the 16-50 kit isn't very good, lots of varied opinions it seems.

• Agree Agree x 2