E-Mount lenses questions

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Mar 25, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi there all
    I wanted to ask you if all the native e-mount lenses from sony like the SEL1855,Sel50,sel16 and so one
    if they share the same thread size. If that is true then one should buy only one filter that can be shared between lenses (i.e ND filter)

Is not that right?

Regards
    Alex

2. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    The basic Sony e-mount lenses all seem to be 49mm, but that does not apply to all of the Sony e-mount lenses. Someone else may be able to give you any easy way to know which lenses are 49mm, otherwise just double check on B&H or Amazon.

3. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Most of the lenses have 49mm thread : 18-55mm, 16mm, 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55-210mm. The sigma primes have 46mm. I think the 16-50 PZ has a smaller size as well. 10-18mm is 62mm and I think a few other lenses use this size.

If you plan on getting lenses with different thread sizes, you can just get the largest size you would need like 62 or 67mm and the use adapters to bring it down to the right size. Personally I think this is a good idea for NDs and stuff that you don't use as often. I have a larger polarizer for my bigger lenses and a 49mm for use with most SEL lenses as this is more compact when I don't want to cart all my gear.

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
  5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    As an FYI I just bought a 40.5 1A sky from KEH.com for $9 in perfect condition.....they always have a good selection. Nice way to save quite a bit of dough IMHO vs. new.

Multiple deals with KEH never a single worry.....

6. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the answers.. IT is nice to see all lenses getting the same filters :)
    I am going for a ND filter.. Do you have any suggestions on how many stops it should guarantee for shooting in direct light?
    ND 3 means 3 stops or 1 1/2 stops?

Regards
    Alex

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    ND filter factors are covered pretty well in this entry on Wikipedia.